Montana Territory's First Jail

Ralph Thornton

The town of Bannack, Montana was established in 1862 when gold was found in Grasshopper Creek. Within a year Montana Territory had its first jail.

7269609574_ee9ba9cf39_c.jpg

Looking at the jail you'll notice a small window to the right of the door. Looking through the bars of the window the prisoner would see his fate.

7269617032_a8129f86e3.jpg

More than a few thieves and murderers were hung on those simple gallows. One, after pleading for mercy, finally requested that the hangmen make it a good drop!

The town of Bannack is now a ghost town and a state park. It was the first Territorial Capitol of Montana.

Quite amazing and spooky at the same time Ralph. Just those two images and your text is enough to ponder over what it was like. Thanks for sharing.

Very cool, Ralph. I love the history! (Surprised they didn't need a jail for a year, though. They must have been very courteous prospectors overall. ;))

Very cool, Ralph. I love the history! (Surprised they didn't need a jail for a year, though. They must have been very courteous prospectors overall. ;))
The brochure from the park said that during the first year, when the gold rush was maddening, no one would spend the time to watch and feed a prisoner when so much money was to be made panning for gold. I think the baddies then got run out of town or the townsfolk used those gallows.:D

Great stuff Ralph, love the shot through the bars very evocative thinking of those those lost souls and the greed that made them so.....great stories there I'm sure...
Is there any mention of any English Bankers.No? perhaps there should be :D:D:D

Spooky!
I find the idea of ghost towns very appealing for photos and this makes an especially interesting subject!
so is this protected somehow?

It is a state park and is protected. The mission of the state park is to keep the buildings as they are and not to restore them to like new or develop into a touristy kind of place. Volunteers help with stabilization of the structure to keep them from deteriorating further. The park is quiet and peaceful as one would expect in a town that time has forgotten. Even to reach the park one has to travel out of the way and off the main roads.

Great story Ralph, and I love the shot through the bars to the gallows

Love old derelict buildings - wonderful locations

Back