Critique Welcomed Mr. Chac-mool eyes my Swami's IPA

Brian Moore

I do a bit of writing as a sideline to my regular work. Mostly for an auto industry newspaper here in the USA called Parts & People. However, I've also written for RV News as well as MACK trucks company magazine. Here's a link to a recent article in Parts & People:
http://www.partsandpeople.com/southern-california/north-hollywood’s-star-shines-brightly). I usually have a couple of pictures printed in Parts & People to go along with my articles.

I shoot digital for such assignments because of the convenience. I use my Canon 6D. However, I'm always concerned that I'll get to the venue and find something has gone wrong with my camera. So I always want to take a back up. Lately I've dragged along my Merrill DP1 as back up. I've also dragged along my 7D sometimes.

I've been looking for a small convenient back up and I think I've found it. It's a Canon EOS M2. Mirrorless. Relatively inexpensive. 18MP APS-C sensor. And with an adapter I can use the same lenses that I use on my 6D. They never sold the M2 in the US or UK, so it's gray market.

It arrived on Saturday. I got it with the 22mm EF-M lens. Here is one of the first test shots.

Brian I have heard a lot of people praising the 22mm STM and although this canon mirrorless lacks native lenses it seems all the ones available are very decent. I hoped for canon to put more into the mirror less segment but alas it is not to be. I have at times looked over them and the images they produce. I wonder if you can tell me how fast the focus is. All I ever really with from a camera is to function quickly, all the bells and whistles they add today I never use . I have the G11 and have to say you press the shutter button and then twiddle your thumbs waiting for the shutter to happen. So annoying .
Looking at the picture above I cannot help but think it was a quick shot and you soon ran out of the liquid test material . I can appreciate you might need many more test to make your mind up, but dont worry if the images look a bit blurred, it's not the camera's fault ;)

Brian I have heard a lot of people praising the 22mm STM and although this canon mirrorless lacks native lenses it seems all the ones available are very decent. I hoped for canon to put more into the mirror less segment but alas it is not to be. I have at times looked over them and the images they produce. I wonder if you can tell me how fast the focus is. All I ever really with from a camera is to function quickly, all the bells and whistles they add today I never use . I have the G11 and have to say you press the shutter button and then twiddle your thumbs waiting for the shutter to happen. So annoying .
Looking at the picture above I cannot help but think it was a quick shot and you soon ran out of the liquid test material . I can appreciate you might need many more test to make your mind up, but dont worry if the images look a bit blurred, it's not the camera's fault ;)
The liquid didn't last long. (Evaporation in our warm climate takes its toll!:rolleyes:) As you probably know Julian the original M was much criticized for its slow focus. That's why I went for the M2. It was supposed to have faster focus. I didn't fancy paying extra for the M3. In my initial tests (actually fumbling) I found that the M2 seemed to focus fast enough. Even as nightfall descended and twilight became the ambient it seemed to focus accurately and quickly enough under the fairly dim market lights I use to illuminate our back garden. It even seemed fairly quick to focus indoors using a variety of EF and EF-S lenses I connected to it via a Fotodiox lens adapter. One nice feature is that you can select your focus point with the touch screen and simultaneously (almost) snap the picture. Maybe other cameras do that but its new to me. Overall, its early yet and I haven't used the camera really but I'm impressed with the size and the picture quality and the flexibility with lenses. I think it will suit me as a small, light back up just fine. Thanks for your response Julian.

The liquid didn't last long. (Evaporation in our warm climate takes its toll!:rolleyes:) As you probably know Julian the original M was much criticized for its slow focus. That's why I went for the M2. It was supposed to have faster focus. I didn't fancy paying extra for the M3. In my initial tests (actually fumbling) I found that the M2 seemed to focus fast enough. Even as nightfall descended and twilight became the ambient it seemed to focus accurately and quickly enough under the fairly dim market lights I use to illuminate our back garden. It even seemed fairly quick to focus indoors using a variety of EF and EF-S lenses I connected to it via a Fotodiox lens adapter. One nice feature is that you can select your focus point with the touch screen and simultaneously (almost) snap the picture. Maybe other cameras do that but its new to me. Overall, its early yet and I haven't used the camera really but I'm impressed with the size and the picture quality and the flexibility with lenses. I think it will suit me as a small, light back up just fine. Thanks for your response Julian.
Interesting and thank you Brian for the detailed response. I have seen the M3 at good prices here. I am more and more in favour of small cameras, taking out the 5DMK2 the other day even with the 50mm was a pain. I am going to keep an eye out for a second hand one locally I think. Yes the touch focus and snap has been around a while, my Olympus E-M5 does it although I have not used it often.

I haven't got to your work yet, but what I see here is interesting. Not as work but info 'bout canon m2. Photokina opening up on the 20th of this month. Rumour has it, all over actually, that canon shall launch m5 as a mirrorless full frame camera whereas eos lenses shall fit. Just thought I'd tell you both. Just bought myself an Oly omd-e1 and a 17mm/f1,7 brand new for the purpose of pocket camera and a one for the streets. Should be good enough for me!

I haven't got to your work yet, but what I see here is interesting. Not as work but info 'bout canon m2. Photokina opening up on the 20th of this month. Rumour has it, all over actually, that canon shall launch m5 as a mirrorless full frame camera whereas eos lenses shall fit. Just thought I'd tell you both. Just bought myself an Oly omd-e1 and a 17mm/f1,7 brand new for the purpose of pocket camera and a one for the streets. Should be good enough for me!

Thank you for that info Ivar. I'll keep a look out, The idea od the earlier M's is they are so cheap. I wonder what a full frame canon mirrorless will come in at. A lot I'd think. Aught to know tomorrow.

Do you mean the E-M1 that you have on the way? A fine camera. I believe the E-M2 is another new camera about to be launched, although I do not keep a track like I used to.

Thank you for that info Ivar. I'll keep a look out, The idea od the earlier M's is they are so cheap. I wonder what a full frame canon mirrorless will come in at. A lot I'd think. Aught to know tomorrow.

Do you mean the E-M1 that you have on the way? A fine camera. I believe the E-M2 is another new camera about to be launched, although I do not keep a track like I used to.
Yes the OMD-E1 as the name goes is not on the way, it is bought and paid for and in my hand. Got its house for £ 650,- brand new. Yes the OMD-E2 is on the way it seems.

Film. I'm only kidding. But I still see you as a film guy, Brian. Some of my all-time favourite film shots are yours.
I'm still a film guy. I know this because when it comes to taking along a camera for fun, film cameras are my first thought. (Even over the Merrill.) And thank you for the kind words, Rob!
There is something disturbing about that jar of yellowish liquid next to the can. Was it a long car journey?! :eek:

Nice to read some of your work though. :)
The disturbing thing about that jar of yellowish liquid was how quickly it evaporated. I had to replenish it in no time at all. Thanks for your comment about my work Pete. I appreciate you taking the time to read it.

Thanks Ivar. The picture quality of the M2, the adaptability, the price point and the use I plan to make of it were all complimentary factors in my decision. A small, full frame camera would be nice but for the amount of use it would get as a back up camera it would be an expensive luxury.

I know the Oly OMD is small but is it pocketable? I like Olympus stuff very much.

Well, size is relative and so are pockets. Oly is bigger, a smaller format a different ballgame from what you have presented as crucial to you I guess. Canon M Dimensions 109 x 66 x 32 mm and Oly OMD-E1 130 x 94 x 63 mm their top of the line camera. I guess you'll have some difficulties understanding the metric system :rolleyes: but my pockets are quite handy for the size of it.:D To me there is no interest in a camera without a viewfinder. I guess you'll do fine with the M. But for the Cornywall man a dream come true should be a mirrorless full format M in size as yours. But they all seem to not understand physical laws whereas lenses are concerned. Like Sony I mean. All the best with your new toy.
It seems you are doing a commercial for Mr. Scrafield Brian, and I guess that was possibly the intention? Since I do not know his business, I take your word for it. Nice looking gentlemen there.

Last edited:
Back