My Exa got class - P Angenieux retrofocus type r11 28mm 3.5

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
It's always had a meyer 50mm 2.8, until I bought this today.
From what I have read it is one of the first 28mm lenses (if not the first) for an SLR. Before old Pierre invented the retrofocus design wde angle lenses could only be used on cameras without flappy mirrors as they would hit rear elements. Much more here An introduction to Angenieux lenses

Anyway, I have ordered an nex adapter for it, but until then it shall sit on my exa and I shall finish the roll of tri-x that I put into it nearly a year ago (shame on me)

Tell me that's not a lovely looking bit of gear!?

631CDDA8-ABFE-4CED-BF58-5CB7EF277CBE-7164-00000818362A8125.jpg

29107B31-7DA3-40FD-B59D-5A100EAB3B0F-7164-0000081831B23AA2.jpg

Edit (21 12 12) :

Im going to use this thread to document my use and thoughts on this lens.
Here are some better shots of it

P Angenieux retrofocus type r11 28mm 3.5 by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

The coatings are reported to be quite soft of this lens... my copy is testament to this with a few surface scratches on the front element.

P Angenieux retrofocus type r11 28mm 3.5 by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

Shots so far can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hamishgill/sets/72157632279822276/

Last edited:
That's not a lovely looking bit of gear.

There,...I've done what you said. But actually I think it is a lovely looking bit of gear. The Exa is the first 35mm SLR I ever laid eyes on. A friend of the family had one and I recall as a kid I sat in the living room just gazing at the camera. It was a wondrous looking thing to me.

Smashin' lens. Looking forward to the foties Hamish.

It's ugly, and just something that doesn't suit you H...... You should give it to me! :) :D

That's propably the sexiest bit of 35mm I've ever seen!

:)

Bar the photos I've taken on the exa I did manage to get one out of the nex with it held against the m42 adapter ... The mount is a bit long so I could only get a close up shot ... It was pretty sharp, fairly contrasty with characterful bokeh.

I really can't wait to get the adapter ...

Delicate is a good choice of word... Nice bit of glow to it!
All at 3.5 Pete ...
Im going to do a proper test of a few of these old lenses over christmas if I get the chance I think

Cheers Brian, I thought that, there is just a hint of swirl without it being the dominating feature...

Beautiful! Well worth buying an Exacta Varex or using your Exa to shoot film, which will really bring out the subtleties and complexities of this special and unique lens.

Back