My New Guitar

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
These photos were taken by the luthier, Scot Tremblay of British Columbia. The instrument is currently on its way to the Scotland, presently somewhere above the North Pole :cool: Let's hope it arrives safely.

It is a copy of a Viennese guitar with 8 strings, two more than usual - you can easily see the two extra bass strings - what we call floating bass strings, which are not freted with the left hand. The original this is based on is from the time of Schubert (who played the six-string variety) about 1820. I'll eventually get around to making a video, once I've figured out what to do with it.

Note also the raised fingerboard (last image). Most guitar fingerboards sit on the soundboard, but this cuts out some of the treble end of the sonic spectrum. The luthier of the original guitar in the early 19th century, Stauffer, was a bit of an innovator. He saw that violins and cellos had raised fretboards, so thought he'd try it on a guitar. Not only that, but he made it moveable by the action of a key in the heel of the neck. So, it is easy to change the height of the strings above the frets - a wonderful invention, which only recently have some guitar makers adopted.

Looking forward to its arrival! What's the first thing I'll play on it? Smoke On The Water, of course! :cool:

Back.jpgBridge.jpgCornerProfile.jpgEndpin.jpgFront.jpgHead.jpgHeadandPegs.jpgRaisedFingerboard.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting Rob. So Xmas has come late this year then! :) Is that birds-eye maple?

One of the people we know well here in Babelsberg is a luthier, making most violins and violas I believe (just looked him up - Markus Opitz - and it seems he makes Flamenco guitars also!). I will be taking some photos of him working in the next couple of months.

I'd say birds-eye maple, too. At least for the sides. Probably the back, too, I guess, but hard to tell from the fotie. What's the black wood? African Blackwood? (I don't think its ebony, but I'm not sure why.)

I love Hendrix's version of All Along The Watchtower. Can you play that one for us too, Rob? :eek:

All Along The Watchtower? Nae probe. Any other requests? Just don't ask me to set fire to it!
It wouldn't be the same without the flames though Rob:p;).

As for a request how about the old Zepp' classic Stairway to Heaven...

Curly maple back, I think. The fretboard is ebony, but that back of the neck and headstock is cedar painted black. But I'll check on all that.

All Along The Watchtower? Nae probe. Any other requests? Just don't ask me to set fire to it!

I would never ask you to set fire to it, Rob. How about a Townsend instead? (You could glue it back together after.)

From the horse's mouth:

===============
Sound board: Lutz Spruce, unique to the Rocky Mountains. A hybrid of Englemann and Sitka. Very similar to European (Better than most of the European available today IMO).

Back and sides: Birdseye Maple/Sugar Maple

Neck: One piece (except head) Rock Maple, Ebonized (Black stain then black spirit varnish/clear French polish)

All trim (fingerboard, bridge [with metal saddle/fret), pegs, nut, binding) Camaroon Ebony

French Polish all around except top which is egg wash sealed, hard oil (mixture of varnish and drying oil) and bee and lemon oil wax.
===============

So now we all know :)

Hi Stan,

Standard for the usual six strings, then D and C. Saves me retuning the 6th string to D, which I do quite often. The low C will be interesting!

The string length between bridge and nut (normally 65cms) is a low 61cms, making stretches easier.

Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Hi Stan,

Standard for the usual six strings, then D and C. Saves me retuning the 6th string to D, which I do quite often. The low C will be interesting!

The string length between bridge and nut (normally 65cms) is a low 61cms, making stretches easier.

Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Cheers, very interesting setup! 6 are too many for me I'm afraid :)

Rob.I have great expectations for this piece of beautiful craftsmanship, both photog wise and playing wise so once it is in your safe hands enjoy it and share it. looking forward to hearing and seeing it's beauty..........:)

Rob, how do you buy such an instrument sight unseen - or more to the point, without having played it?

Just curious as I'm sure they're not cheap!

Back