Nik Analogue Efex Pro

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
I was surprised to see a new effects unit in my Nik Toolbox - Analogue Efex Pro. I never asked for it, certainly never paid for it, but there it is. I got no email about it either. Odd. But it is welcome!

Basically it supplies a number of editable filters based on classic and vintage cameras. I used one of my images for a few screen shots.

First, "Classic Camera". Note the basic filters in the left-hand panel, with adjustments on the right-hand panel.

Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 08.10.27.png

Then "Wet Plate". The right-hand panel has changed to include various photo plate options:

Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 08.12.47.png

Toy Camera:

Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 08.14.36.png

And Vintage Camera, with Lightbox frame options open...

Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 08.16.47a.png

There is one final left-hand panel - Camera Kit - a bunch of options to edit further:

Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 08.18.28a.png

All in all, a welcome addition, and a sign that Research and Development did not stop when Google bought the company...

Videos:

That second video explores the options, but I don't like the changes he makes to what was originally a fine image. I think he could have chosen a better image to work with, as his Before and After summation does not convince. Still, there are possibilities here.

Last edited:
@Lesley Jones - do you have the Complete edition? I think if you purchased the complete edition, these updates are automatic. But if you bought, say, Nik Silver on its own, then you have to go looking for the others. And did you register with Google when it bought Nik? An email was sent out asking us to register.

Lesley...I don't allow anything to get into my computer without permission so it didn't get installed automatically. If you want to install this additional software and you have the complete package that Google set an email about...just close PS and download the trial version and install it. It will upgrade and activate it.

Edit...I checked to see if there was any attempts to upgrade automatically. It tried and failed. That's good as far as I'm concerned. Also...a google check indicates that there are many problems when it was upgraded automatically.

Last edited:
I was one of those eligible for the free complete edition, although I had to e-mail Nik/Google about it because I bought Silver and Color Efex from a third party online. They sent me the link to download the package, so must have my details. I too have seen the problems reported though, especially that it killed a .dll file and broke CS5. From here it doesn't look like my kind of filter, but I would just like to understand the process a bit better. We're having enough problems with McAfee at the moment, so I'm not sure I want to battle with any more software... :)

And btw...I remind you...I'm married to a Canadian who continues to make fun of my "English" speak...and spelling. Ad the Boston dialect...and I'm betting you may not understand a word I speak.

Thank god for that - thought I'd gone nuts and just failed to notice it all these months! :D :D : D

I used it on the KODAK film sign shot - to get the look and the film frame

10734785034_b8e46b62b5_c.jpg

I like it - not for every shot - but it'll come in handy

Top marks to NIK/GOOGLE

Back