One Jealous Angry Soul

It might also be interesting, if possible, to get a shot from an angle that makes the object of the statement a little more clear. Is it referring to what's on the (highly foreshortened) adjacent pillar face?

I came across this recently in Grafton. Grey, raining.

I saw the photo this morning (it's now 9 p.m. here in Italy) and wanted to comment, but I couldn't decide what to say. Now I'm trying, but I don't want to criticize, I'm not even in the position to dare to do that.
The title of the post refers to the phrase written in marker on the pillar, but the writing is barely visible and its meaning still remains mysterious.

The phrase is something, but the photo seems more interesting to me as a document of an engineering detail and a space that evidently has its own story to tell. Perhaps a story of obsolescence, of aging, but also of a material power demonstrated by those large paws firmly planted in the ground. A story of survival.

I would have liked to have had a broader look at the surrounding context as well and a color rendering that perhaps would have brought out more details about the artifact's life.

I imagine that this photo is part of your commitment to observing and documenting bridges, roads, urban corners that you have recently (or at least I think so) dedicated yourself to.

It might be a good photo to play with in a Play Raw on pixls.us.
What do you think @Stevenson Gawen ?

I like the wide HDR of the shot, though I'm not sure Nokia got it right, and I'm intrigued by the tonal depth of this corridor to nowhere/somewhere. Even the pillar on the left, in the foreground, seems to me to have something to tell, when viewed in color.

Last edited:
Thank you @Len Philpot and @Gianluca Drago! Appreciate the thoughts, and your tact ;).
I'm feeling that I let myself get a little over enthusiastic about this one for some reason, and looking at it this morning it doesn't really stand up in the light of day as it were.

Yes, the title is referring to the text on pillar on the right, which I read as a retaliation towards whoever painted over whatever previous graffiti was on that pillar.

The pillars are under this bridge, at the northern end, which is the older of two bridges over the Clarence River.
IMG_20240115_085534.jpgMmm... shaking my head at myself. 😄
Perhaps I will make it a Play Raw... it would make a pair with the shot here which is a Play Raw already!
Thanks again!

I really appreciated the Play Raw about the bridge you are posting here. It is a great photo in my opinion, and the individual interpretations of it were also interesting. A lot.

But I wouldn't discard the "One Jealous Soul" shot. To me, it's open to interpretations. It's not something to trash.

I like the 2nd shot above more than the one with the graffiti (which I assume was added by whomever did the original graffiti that was painted over white).

I found your bridge. :) The new one must be really new -- Per Google Maps Street View imagery, the span was erected sometime between 2018 and 2019.

View attachment 18550
Hey, yes! Looks a bit different in bright sunshine. I was only in Grafton for about 17 hours all up, (including sleeping! but it was raining or almost raining each of the 4 times I crossed the bridge. Once on foot, once by taxi and twice driving.

I assumed that the writer of the graffiti likely had done something else previously on the same pillar, and was lamenting the fact that it was painted over. As graffiti goes, it's pretty well-expressed. I like it.
I think I may have passed through Grafton back in 2001, but took no real notice of the bridges.

Right, as suggested by @Gianluca Drago I've made this a Play Raw post over on Pixls. https://discuss.pixls.us/t/under-the-grafton-bridge/41678

That forum is only for open source software, but as I've licenced the image you're more than welcome to download it and post non-open-source results here if you like! I.e. Photoshop, Lr, Capture One, etc.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing what people come up with over there. :)

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing what people come up with over there.

I think this is a great idea @Stevenson Gawen
Observing different interpretations in the development of a raw image and trying it out for yourself is a valuable learning experience. And it is fun. I will try to post my edit later.
Here's my edit. I emphasized the apparent nonlinearity of the structure.

nokia x30 5g-IMG20240115090035.jpg

Last edited:
Back