Attention PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO THIS THREAD - What parts of this website are important to you?

Well I had hoped to add something profound, but a lot of the others have covered my points.

I come here because of the tone and content of the forum, which really boils down to the people, the members.
1. The members are photographers
2. Gear is critical, but almost always discussed in the context of the joy of photography
3. I learn: ideas, techniques, inspiration
4. Humour is critical to life and I find it deeply embedded in the community
5. Articles. maybe that is not the right word, but there are a few longer posts where information is shared that I find extremely useful

Photography is very important to me. I have no time for the many pseudo-experts online, or forums that are all about gear-angst. I take joy in the output of others, and in learning.

Hope this helps.

Larry... Are you not feeling well?
I expected you to outblast us with a mahoooosive essay. This was your moment Larry!!

But sometimes.... Less, is more! :)

I discovered this site through something Hamish said on anther group. I ma just sorry that I haven't been on line and on the site as much as I'd like due to some injuries

Jeannie

- - - Updated - - -

I agree whole wholeheartedly with Larry

- - - Updated - - -

I know that when I can be ore active participant, I would love the forums. I think it is important to have a place where we can exchange ideas, ask questions, and learn from each other.

My bookmark takes me to the forum section, I enjoy the photography as well as the interesting equipment everyone has as I do find it amazing how many different ways light is captured. Here are the parts of this forum I like the most:

Seeing other peoples work and commenting and making suggestions for improvements for the next shot.

Projects - interesting and unique projects everyone is working on ranging from DIY cameras to specific themes.

'Photos shot with' - I find it interesting about the look of certain cameras/lenses give which can make me think "I am wanting that look for X shot but now I know what X bit of kit I should look into getting"

I have also noticed that there are a wide range of other subjects people are interesting in when I asked about music and found others had turn tables or DJed etc. Perhaps there could be a slight expansion into 'other interests' in the forum (but of course keep it as a photography forum!).

Perhaps there could also be a 'how to' section which could be a collective section for threads already written or any new guides eg: how to choose the right lens, or what should I look for in my first DSLR.

I have noticed on a few other forums I have been on there is a donation bar at the top of the forum which usually indicates monthly costs or we need to get £X this month and you see other members chip in with small donations eg 50p or a pound here and there, it all adds up and usually the targets are reached within a week or so.

This is still a top forum though, its always friendly and ever though there are people all over the world on here is always seems to be like a tight knit community :)

11 hours after the above original forum post that was originated from the U.K., I received the following message personally addressed to me in California (7 hours into my awake hours)

Hello,

It is rare that I contact all of our membership in one go. But i would like to draw your attention to this thread:

http://www.realphotographersforum.c...-thread-what-parts-website-important-you.html

If you contribute to the site, just read it, or don't even visit any more, I would like to hear your thoughts!

Thanks

Hamish

Well, I'd like to thank my friends in this community and bid you farewell on this platform. It's been fun, and I have enjoyed every bid of it. If you'd like to stay in touch, I'd very much enjoy that. Thank you Rob, thank you Pete, thank you Glenn, thank you Brian, thank you Julian, thank you Lesley, thank you Chris, thank you Stephen, thank you Dan, thank you Peter. Forgive me for not mentioning of all your names. Best wishes to all of you at RPF.

I have to concur with Brian/Pete. I also wouldn't have known about this forum if it wasn't for Chris. So thank you so much Chris! I was looking at the Fuji forum on DPR because I was trying to learn about photography. Personally I found that forum just a bunch of obsessive "gear wanking." To me the "gear" is an important part of photography, but I want to see pictures of actual things I like as opposed to "I just got the camera and I stood in my front yard and took this photo and I'm really unhappy with my camera." Some of the most interesting photos I've seen weren't taken with a $4000 FF DSLR. Case in point is Chris' great photos with the waterproof Canon (of course now I want one....[banghead]). I also had participated on a couple of other forums that I found be less inclusive to put it politely. This forum is a very friendly/knowledgeable site without the competitiveness. To me photography is an art and has a subjective quality to it. That's something people here seem to understand that I did not get with other forums.

I love RPF. I don't always comment on the photos because they are better than the ones I take. But I always am looking at them because I learn so much from the actual photos and the commentary. I also really appreciate the positive feedback I have received here. Positive in the sense that I feel like the members are trying to help me improve.

I have enjoyed like the homepage. I've found some great articles to read there. For example, I found out about Fade to Black and the Fuji Klasse cameras there. These are extremely well written articles that contain a bunch of valuable information for a novice like me.

I would also like to say this is the best online community of photographers I have ever seen. There are just some amazing photos posted here. That's what really stands out for me. The quality of the photos. I love photography and this is monograph quality work you guys are posting. Thanks for the site!!!!

Brian- I bought the Hawkeye at the thrift store on my lunch break. :D

I would also like to add, due to some issues in my personal life, I was just about to give up on photography about a month ago. It's something I'm not good at but love doing. If it wasn't for a several people on this forum I would have already sold my cameras and been done with it. Thanks guys....now look where I'm at...I have a Brownie Hawkeye I've got to take apart and clean.....:D

I have to concur with Brian/Pete. I also wouldn't have known about this forum if it wasn't for Chris. So thank you so much Chris! I was looking at the Fuji forum on DPR because I was trying to learn about photography. Personally I found that forum just a bunch of obsessive "gear wanking." To me the "gear" is an important part of photography, but I want to see pictures of actual things I like as opposed to "I just got the camera and I stood in my front yard and took this photo and I'm really unhappy with my camera." Some of the most interesting photos I've seen weren't taken with a $4000 FF DSLR. Case in point is Chris' great photos with the waterproof Canon (of course now I want one....[banghead]). I also had participated on a couple of other forums that I found be less inclusive to put it politely. This forum is a very friendly/knowledgeable site without the competitiveness. To me photography is an art and has a subjective quality to it. That's something people here seem to understand that I did not get with other forums.

I love RPF. I don't always comment on the photos because they are better than the ones I take. But I always am looking at them because I learn so much from the actual photos and the commentary. I also really appreciate the positive feedback I have received here. Positive in the sense that I feel like the members are trying to help me improve.

I have enjoyed like the homepage. I've found some great articles to read there. For example, I found out about Fade to Black and the Fuji Klasse cameras there. These are extremely well written articles that contain a bunch of valuable information for a novice like me.

I would also like to say this is the best online community of photographers I have ever seen. There are just some amazing photos posted here. That's what really stands out for me. The quality of the photos. I love photography and this is monograph quality work you guys are posting. Thanks for the site!!!!

I should have simply hired you to say the stuff I wanted to say.

Nihat...I think you have misunderstood what Hamish was doing. He just sent out a email to everyone to make sure that everyone had a chance to comment. It's a function that the forum software allows him to do.

Extremely excellent, Steve!:)

- - - Updated - - -

If it wasn't for a several people on this forum I would have already sold my cameras and been done with it. Thanks guys....now look where I'm at...I have a Brownie Hawkeye I've got to take apart and clean.....:D

I know what done it. You just didn't want me coming down to Texas to Slap Hugo you! ;)

Love the banter - love seeing what other people see and shoot, as it's inspiring and challenging

Love having someone else to share my insanity with - love the chance to learn

Enjoy finding stuff online and sharing it with folks who might find it interesting

Never use the blogs or galleries

Having an audience has got me up and about 'doing' and writing more about photography - in doing this I've had a great time, and learned a whole lot about photography (and myself)

The images here are often stunning - the people here are first rate

Thanks Hamish

11 hours after the above original forum post that was originated from the U.K., I received the following message personally addressed to me in California (7 hours into my awake hours)

Hello,

It is rare that I contact all of our membership in one go. But i would like to draw your attention to this thread:

http://www.realphotographersforum.c...-thread-what-parts-website-important-you.html

If you contribute to the site, just read it, or don't even visit any more, I would like to hear your thoughts!

Thanks

Hamish

Well, I'd like to thank my friends in this community and bid you farewell on this platform. It's been fun, and I have enjoyed every bid of it. If you'd like to stay in touch, I'd very much enjoy that. Thank you Rob, thank you Pete, thank you Glenn, thank you Brian, thank you Julian, thank you Lesley, thank you Chris, thank you Stephen, thank you Dan, thank you Peter. Forgive me for not mentioning of all your names. Best wishes to all of you at RPF.

I baffled by this Nihat ...
Erm... The software has a mass mailer built into it. I sent a mass mail to everyone... I was really tryin to capture info from folks who don't regularly post as I guessed reglulars would see the post anyway. It's just quicker to click "send to all". As fr the time it got to you ... I'm not sure if you have an issue there? It doesn't send them in one go it seems. I guess as measure to not black list the server ... I'm not sure what I am apologising for, but sorry you took offence...

Nihat - no! We need you here. Not sure what your message really refers to, but the result is what no one here wants, that you would leave us. Please reconsider!

Absolutely Nihat. As Hamish says, he was attempting to find out why people join and what they would like any revisions to the site to be like. Especially those (not you or I) that either haven't yet contributed or who prefer just to read and look. And so the message was sent to everyone. I got it, Rob got it. Everyone. He just wanted to get as much feedback as he could so he can do the right thing. Please stay.

Oh my, what has happened here? Errrrm, baffled too.

Nihat, you are NOT going anywhere! Your staying here. I will send the masked demon around otherwise! :):)

Nihat, it may be a misunderstanding of grammar. After all Hamish lives in Worcester, has a young child and is probably deprived of sleep. I had to read it twice.

What he is doing is seeking feedback from us all.

Your combination of images and words are irreplaceable!

- - - Updated - - -

Hamish,

Many of the previous posts really echo a very cohesive sentiment. This has become more than a forum: it has become a community. In that the achievement is, in my opinion, far greater than other forums. RPF has a culture of sharing, encouragement and that is mixed with a healthy dose of banter.

I do use the home page occasionally. I also spend by far the most time in the forum. It is good to have the diversity so you encourage a broader outlook and I think the forum is better for having that choice. Please don't constrain it.

Where else can you get the mix of David's travels, equipment advice, inspiration and Nihat's poetry?

Hi Hamish.

My views are the same since inception. Too many areas for me, many with less that 100 posts! But I just look at new posts, so it doesn't really matter. I don't have time for blogs of any sort.

So if anything, keep it as it is, but shrink it and simplify it.

Regards

Dave

galleries?? that's a new one on me.

yeah forum, that's all. precious little time for anything else.

Well it seems pretty much covered in previous posts, Forum is bookmarked for me on all my platforms. I have used the galleries, but they seem to be rarely viewed, did try the blog once too but I'm rubbish at the everyday writing stuff.

The articles are of interest, but more like a reference book than a newspaper, if that make sense. I think it would be good to maintain the instructables under a referenced archive if you are going to change the way we used the site. it's always good to visit the library from time to time

What pulled me in? Meeting Hammie ( Sorry Hamish, just part of the forum fun [ner] titters like a schoolboy) up at a local event, whereby he invited me to join, so did and hope to continue, although my posts seem more sporadic of late due to my making shed keeping me away from my desk.

Whichever way the forum evolves, it will continue in the same spirit I'm sure as the people on here make it that way. Hope Nijat sees that everyone received the All Members Mail to get their views on the forum...and will return

Back