Attention PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO THIS THREAD - What parts of this website are important to you?

Hamish is doing a Flickr on us - run for the hills! ;)

We have a plan ...

Basically, the front page is going to go. for the time being anyway.... it will in time be replaced with something a little more slick! We are going to upgrade to the new version of vb and ditch a lot of the features that go unused.

There is going to be a new brand, and the forum is going to be the key to the place! More effort will be put into making sure the forum element runs as smoothly as it can!

I should just say now that this is likely to cause some upheaval ... we are looking at doing this mid-late august. the site might be down for as much as a day, maybe a little more and when you come back. It is going to be a very different interface. Im saying this now to prepare you for it ... If you are the type that doesn't like change. this is going to be a shock to the system!

Are we all ok with this as a brief outline of a plan?

Sounds good. Thanks for asking for opinions etc.

Oh, and thanks for RPF.

No nobody could do as bad a job as Flickr did and I wonder whats next on friday during the closedown by the way Chris can you put 4pm-10pm PDT into English for us please

translates to: too long, fire the IT department :D

Having read through all the pages I can confirm that this place is brilliant, how many other sites would ask for opinions before changing ?? Well done Hamish & that for one reason alone is why I like it here,as a trade member I try to add bits that my be helpfull to members but I would never think of trying to hard sell on here as 1 it would not work 2 I would be thrown out I think.
I am now looking forward to seeing the new site & what it brings to us.
Just as a small point, the initial request from Hamish did not confuse myself & was very straightforward I think, if some have felt the need to move on then I do not think you should worry to much Hamish as I did not take offence to it at all, quite te opposite as I have tried to say above.

Change is as good as a rest go cool for me

We have a plan ...

Basically, the front page is going to go. for the time being anyway.... it will in time be replaced with something a little more slick! We are going to upgrade to the new version of vb and ditch a lot of the features that go unused.

There is going to be a new brand, and the forum is going to be the key to the place! More effort will be put into making sure the forum element runs as smoothly as it can!

I should just say now that this is likely to cause some upheaval ... we are looking at doing this mid-late august. the site might be down for as much as a day, maybe a little more and when you come back. It is going to be a very different interface. Im saying this now to prepare you for it ... If you are the type that doesn't like change. this is going to be a shock to the system!

Count me in! :)

We have a plan ...

Sounds good to me :)

Nihat so sad, I do hope you, post again some time in the future and will look into your site as I enjoy your pictures a lot. Respect fully how you feel. I did also receive the mail quite late, a day or so after this thread, initial scan of the mail was confusing. I do understand Hamish is most probably overloaded with things to do.

Responding so late, was to hopefully come up with something that would contribute to this thread in a positive way with some outstanding ideas, given time to think of something. No ideas popped up, that is the most likely reason I am not running a web site. It will be interesting to see what the new format will be.
As many here have mentioned, again I am a forum user, above anything else, so bookmark goes straight to the forum page. As for the members here, it is like no other forum I visit, feels very real and the advise is second to none. I always hesitate to post a thread, thinking the world is going to fall in around me, but that is me. This and one other forum allows me to do this. So on a selfish note, thanks Hamish.
Looking forward to seeing what turns up.

We have a plan ...

BOOOOOOM!!! Change is comin! Lets have it :)

Hamish,
I have not contributed in a while, but have visited the forums from time to time. I find the forum to be extremely helpful and informative. The tone of the knowledge exchange is casual,friendly and accepting. I enjoy viewing the various topics and look forward to continued exchanges. I hope to get back into contributing my part as well! Thanks for including me in your request for input. I read your "plan" and look forward to the changes.

Back