Attention PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO THIS THREAD - What parts of this website are important to you?

What I like about RPF is reading about gear, new and old, insights into photography, any simple techniques I can learn that will make shooting easier or better, and there's no *****iness, just encouragement! something that ruins a lot of other sites, which just descend into either a ******* contest or someone trying to force opinions!
I like the camera of the month section, and even though it got me to go a bit GAS crazy, it's a great feature, same for the articles on fixing up cameras, which led me to tackle several Yashica Electro 35's, an Oly Trip 35 and a couple of Konica Auto S2's with success on those that could be salvaged!

Absolutely Nihat. As Hamish says, he was attempting to find out why people join and what they would like any revisions to the site to be like. Especially those (not you or I) that either haven't yet contributed or who prefer just to read and look. And so the message was sent to everyone. I got it, Rob got it. Everyone. He just wanted to get as much feedback as he could so he can do the right thing. Please stay.

That goes for me too! Nihat - I read this thread last night and I STILL got confused with Hamish's e-mail this morning. I'm not sure why, but I too felt it was saying goodbye. Maybe I just scan some of the words rather than reading properly, but I can understand if English isn't your first language. Please stay!!

My two quick cents :->

I arrived here following a post by Chris Dodkin in a DPR forum. As many, i find the DPR forums frustrating; useful to follow technical updates and such, but not a lot to talk with people.

I was initially fascinated by the idea of do not allowing for anonymous post; i have been around for a while, an i always though that the quality on the communication on Internet felt down brutally when the mass of anonymous poster arrived (AOL times :).

I have posted only a few times, but i read a lot, and, as all the other poster said, the strong value i find here is the community; it is a place where i read a thread just to see what the people i read about is up to :->.

Technically, i use the forums and the What Last feature, to know what is going on; but i think the technical part is not very important, the real point for me is the sustainability of the site.

I do not know the technical and financial infrastructure behind the site, but if it needed i am ready to give an hands to help assure the long term sustainability of the site (by the way, personally i am a computer guy, do not hesitate to ask if you need help :).

Maurizio

I've written to Nihat, respectfully asking he reconsider his position, and wondering if he had misread the original message. We shall see.

I did that earlier. I'm not sure why I took the e-mail the wrong way, but it gave me a shock this morning until I read it again :)

I missed Nihat's farewell first time around. When I went back a few minutes ago to see what everyone was talking about I found Nihat's post and I was saddened and surprised. Actually shocked is a better word.

Rob: I was going to suggest maybe you could contact Nihat outside of RPF. I see you've done that. Thanks.

I had to read Hamish's original E-mail twice when it arrived in my in-box. Here is the sentance I had to read twice:

If you contribute to the site, just read it, or don't even visit any more, I would like to hear your thoughts!

Maybe this confused a few folks at first.

Anyway, I sincerely hope Nihat doesn't leave us.

I joined RPF a few years ago at the invitation of Hamish who sold me my first SLR camera - which I'm still using. I haven't used it as much as I should, having been put off by poor internet connection when I spent a year living overseas but dip in now and then when I want to find out about equipment and feel brave enough to show off some of my photos.
The Forum area is great and I'm ashamed that I haven't used it more but like many of the other people posting in this thread, I'm not really interested in the Blog pages. Many people posting include their own blog URL in their signature if I want to follow them. Stick to the photography community, you do it really well
Time to get posting!

Most of the stuff here is over my head / hard to understand .
I keep coming back reading , then searching / google- ing .
Just because I don't post does not mean I don't like .
WHAT I would change - things like DOF = depth of field , lol , lmao , TV , fyi, AV - most I know but some I have no idea about .

Most of the stuff here is over my head / hard to understand .
I keep coming back reading , then searching / google- ing .
Just because I don't post does not mean I don't like .
WHAT I would change - things like DOF = depth of field , lol , lmao , TV , fyi, AV - most I know but some I have no idea about .

Roy, please don't be shy about asking for an explanation of any terminology, jargon or photo techniques discussed on RPF. There is no shortage of members who'd be glad to help.

Regarding Nihat - he won't be back, I'm afraid. He understood the message well enough (many of us thought he might have misinterpreted it) but he is a sensitive sole, and took exception to being addressed impersonally in a circular. He wishes us well, and said he enjoyed his time here.

It takes all sorts, and I wish him well. Luckily he and I knew each other before he came here (at my invitation) so we shall keep in touch. But I feel many here will miss him. These forums don't suit everybody, and we shouldn't feel bad about that.

that's too bad about nihat. i thought he had some great photos and brought a different view and style to his work. i'll miss seeing his posts. rob, when you see him again let him know i wish him well and i'm sorry to see him go.

Regarding Nihat - he won't be back, I'm afraid. He understood the message well enough (many of us thought he might have misinterpreted it) but he is a sensitive sole, and took exception to being addressed impersonally in a circular. He wishes us well, and said he enjoyed his time here.

It takes all sorts, and I wish him well. Luckily he and I knew each other before he came here (at my invitation) so we shall keep in touch. But I feel many here will miss him. These forums don't suit everybody, and we shouldn't feel bad about that.

That's a pity. Thanks for reaching out to him, Rob.

that's too bad about nihat. i thought he had some great photos and brought a different view and style to his work. i'll miss seeing his posts. rob, when you see him again let him know i wish him well and i'm sorry to see him go.

Same. His photography leaves me inspired, and opens my mind to different approaches.

I'll have to track down his blog.

I too look almost exclusively at the forums. I rarely see negativism but instead find friendly advice and critique. That is what brought me to this forum in the first place and its what I like the most. While I may not comment a lot, I do learn from the many different photographic styles represented by the wide variety of forum members.

Back