Rob's Status

Brian Moore

Rob's condition makes it difficult and exhausting for him to communicate and he has asked me to provide an update.

As some of you may recall Rob initially thought he had suffered a minor stroke. Further developments resulted in an updated diagnosis. Rob has Myasthenia Gravis. In extreme cases this condition can be life threatening. In Rob's case his doctors have informed him that his illness has progressed to a "possible" life threatening stage.

Tomorrow Rob will undergo a tracheotomy. This will alleviate the need for a tube down his throat and will facilitate a speedier delivery of necessary drugs.

For anyone who wishes to send a card Rob is hospitalized at The Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Little France, Edinburgh. Ward 118. (No flowers allowed.)

Under the circumstances Rob is in remarkably good spirits, posting occasional updates on Facebook, which tire him tremendously (hence his request that I update the lads and lassies at RPF), and even getting to cheer on Scotland in their game against Hungary yesterday.

I'm sure you all will join me in sending Rob good vibes. He needs it right now.

Rob's condition makes it difficult and exhausting for him to communicate and he has asked me to provide an update.

As some of you may recall Rob initially thought he had suffered a minor stroke. Further developments resulted in an updated diagnosis. Rob has Myasthenia Gravis. In extreme cases this condition can be life threatening. In Rob's case his doctors have informed him that his illness has progressed to a "possible" life threatening stage.

Tomorrow Rob will undergo a tracheotomy. This will alleviate the need for a tube down his throat and will facilitate a speedier delivery of necessary drugs.

For anyone who wishes to send a card Rob is hospitalized at The Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Little France, Edinburgh. Ward 118. (No flowers allowed.)

Under the circumstances Rob is in remarkably good spirits, posting occasional updates on Facebook, which tire him tremendously (hence his request that I update the lads and lassies at RPF), and even getting to cheer on Scotland in their game against Hungary yesterday.

Though I am very new to this group, I offer my sincerest good wishes. Tony.

Just got back from a few days off the grid and another day of no internet since my "provider" is upgrading my service (which seems to require eliminating all service for a day or two). Hang in there Rob!

It is so sad to see that his condition is not any better. I wish with all my heart that he shall recover from this illness, so we can again joke about and appreciate his pictures and funny remarks, sharing laughter as before. Please give my regards Brian, next time around. May all go well.

It is so sad to see that his condition is not any better. I wish with all my heart that he shall recover from this illness, so we can again joke about and appreciate his pictures and funny remarks, sharing laughter as before. Please give my regards Brian, next time around. May all go well.
Thanks Ivar. I think Rob is looking in occasionally.

The Fightback Begins! For weeks the doctors have been manoeuvring me into a position where I can be given the main drug to combat myasthenia gravis: rituximab. It could be loosely referred to as the cancer-equivalent of chemotherapy, but milder, less invasive. Well, I had my first of two four-hour infusions yesterday, the second to come in two weeks’ time. So far, so good. The dangers are that it is an immuno-suppresent, opening me up to other attacks, but they could administer other drugs to combat those. They say most people feel the benefits within one to six weeks. Meanwhile the Physio department is building up my strength, and I had my first taste of custard! Food of the Gods! Or so it seemed. Just half a teaspoon, but I managed to swallow it. I’m on the road home, but it might take a couple of months. After that I will receive Out-Patient treatment for as long as I need it.

Thanks for all your support, friends.

Back