Shadow and Light

Love it. Beautiful light. I like the way the shadowy chimney pots opposite can be seen through the blind, adding to the other elements in the frame. For a moment the slightly truncated righthand end of the darker band of the blind niggled, then I looked at how the sill in the bottom right of the frame and balances it perfectly. Indeed, the succulent adds a small but vital sense of wild chaos to contrast our human need for regularity. Still pondering that pea on the sill, though...

I like the shade of the succulent plant. I probably don't know what I'm saying, but I would cut out almost everything else (I did a test and it seems to work extremely well).
Interesting perspective, Gianluca. You've got me playing around with bits of card to crop it this way and that. I see what you mean. There are also a few other variations, too, that have potential... I think, for me though, the image works best as a whole. It's surprising what the 'Scalpel of Personal Taste' can come up with, though 🤓

Is there such a thing as a perfect photo? I remember the guy that ran a photography evening class at our local tech college often saying something along the lines of "if you've taken what you feel is a perfect shot, it's time to hang up your camera and pursue another interest". I think there's some merit in that. He was a bit of a character, though. Ex London fashion 'tog from the '60s & '70s. He never did say why he gave up that 'glamorous' world to run a chemist and photo shop on the Isle of Wight... anyway, I ramble. Sorry 😬🙄☺️

Rob, The weight of the black on the upper left is pulling me too much to that spot. Maybe just the whole image a little lighter instead of opening up the shadows? I would like the hilites on the right grabbing a little more of my attention. That's my 2 cents worth.

Fair comment, Bill. I can’t get home for a while, and my phone isn’t equipped for the subtlety I require, but I’ll keep it in mind. Thanks for your thoughtful comment.

Back