Snapseed from Nik Software

Boooo ...you have an iPad then??
I'm not sure about the iPad really ... I'm fairly sure tablet pcs came and went a few years ago ... This time that just have good marketing behind them... Ya know??

I bought an iPad when I was in the US. It is useful for looking stuff up when you don't have a computer running as it is instantly on. And the new ones would be great for Skype and the like. They also make good photo albums / portfolios. It'll be interesting to see if this app actually temps me to edit images on one too. Again, for the ones with cameras it might be more useful although I can't see many people carrying an iPad around!

That's the problem ... Laptops are more powerful and not much bigger ...
iPhones are pocketable ... ...
How much do you use it Pete ... Day to day ...
I have a mate who has a crap mobile phone and no other pc at all ... For people like that I can see the attraction, but that's a limited market! Apple marketed this as something that filled a gap ... I don't think there was a gap to fill, apple jut made a gap ... With marketing!
As with a lot of tech, the markets are driven by supply not demand ... Clever ideas are usually what make products sell! The iPhone sells because it changed the face of mobile technology and continues to provide (above all) a simple and easy to use, yet enormously powerful solution for keeping up with the world that is literally at the tip of your thumbs ... I'm on mine now! The iPad provides little more than a bigger screen with slightly less comfortable useablility ... ... ...
For all this yapping though, I sorta want one! Madness!

I certainly don't use mine every day but, I did buy one for Ina, and she uses it a lot to look at the news etc. But I know what you mean. In many ways they are fairly useless but at the same highly desirable and are certainly a super piece of technology. I don't own a smart-phone (I toyed with getting an iPhone but just don't have enough interest in one) and so for me the iPad fills that gap. As an album they are really nice (and much, much better than the album I had bought before) plus there are a number apps that can be useful. For example, PhaseOne do an app that allows you to use them as a medium sized preview screen during tethered captures.

And now both BJP and B&W Photography are doing e-versions viewable on the iPad. That could be really convenient.

Apple have done a great job in creating a device that people really want but certainly don't need and now there are more and more competitive devices emerging. They certainly seem to have created a market.

Last edited:
I think that's the point - they are tapping the market for an extra computer gadget, rather than the primary one...

I like mine for the instant on feature, some of the Aps are fab (I can program my DVR with one which is way faster than using the remote) - I use it to control my iTunes playback through my HiFi, stream Pandora and LastFM to my HiFi, and also browse photos. There are some killer photo aps including the Guardian eyewitness App - photos look amazing on the iPad display, and people really take to flicking through albums using it.

I also have a clapperboard App for my 8mm movie making - so watch this space...

Back