Fire Pink Pentax MX
Slide069.jpg

Trillium Pentax LX
imgB714_edited-1.jpg

Daisy Pentax K10d
_IGP9047_edited-1.jpg

Butterfly Weed and Butterfly Pentax LX
img854_edited-2.jpg

I've always enjoyed flower photography. The MX and LX shots use a Vivitar 100mm macro lens, the K10d shots the kit 18-55mm lens.

Very pretty
It's interesting seeing film and digital shots taken by the same eye next to each other!
The second and last shots do show some film like attributes that I can't quite put my finger on
The last one in particular is a lovely shot that looks very much like it was shot with film ... But what is it about it? Maybe the colour?

Perhaps the shallow depth of field of the film shots? The fire pink blossom is about 1.25 inches across, the trillium about 2.5 inches. The working distance for the fire pink is obviously much shorter than for the other flowers.

The film shots are TIFF or PSD scanned images, 4000 dpi (as I remember) with an Epson V700, the digital images were shot in RAW and "developed" in Photoshop Elements, my go-to editor. The final files are comparable in size for both digital and film, that is to say, large.

I am toying with the ideal of shooting the same subject using the same lens on both the LX and the K10d. I'd try to control as many variables as possible, for example, using the same exposure index, same f stop, exposure mode, metering mode, etc, to see how the final images differ. A double blind viewing of them would be interesting to see if they could be distinguished reliably.

I'd be very interested in seeing the results
And would love to see if I could spot the difference ...

I think in these shots, looking again, it's definitely the colour...
The digital ones look more accurate I think, the film ones have what appears to be a less real, but perhaps more attractive rendition of the colour

Back