Strictly For The Birds

Tony Britton

Hello,

I'd like to share my favorite bird, and occasional duck, photographs with you. I prefer portrait style captures whenever possible and utilize side-lighting in the vast majority of my photos. I use a collection of superzoom cameras to photograph my subjects. All photos were taken hand-held and have not been cropped.

I hope you enjoy this collection.

Best regards,

Tony

1. Double-crested Cormorant
2016%20britton-M.jpg

2. Great Blue Heron
Great%20Blue%20Heron%20Tony%20Britton%202014-M.jpg

3. Wood Duck
woodducks2016britton-M.jpg

4. Black-crowned Night Heron
IMG_0454-M.jpg

5. Green Heron
bestwestlake2013%20a%20%283%29-M.jpg

Wow, great first post, Tony. Very impressive, especially as hand-held with a superzoom. Can you tell us what equipment you used?
Thanks very much, Rob. Firstly, I really enjoyed the link to your photography. Superb!

The images in this first set were all taken with my Canon SX50 HS camera. It's my favorite of the three superzoom cameras I own. Once I discovered locations that allowed me reasonably close contact with my favorite subjects I purchased these cameras to specifically "fill the frame" with relatively close subjects rather than use the massive zoom capabilities to bring very distant subjects "closer." In this way I can capture fine detail and avoid the need to crop the image. As with any type of camera, proximity always helps.

Tony

This next set features photos from my Canon SX40, Canon SX50 and Nikon Coolpix P610 superzoom cameras. I hope you enjoy them!

Tony

1. Snowy Egret Ballet (Canon SX40)
Snowy%20Egret%20Series%20tony%20brittonphotography%202016-L.jpg

2. Double-crested Cormorant (Canon SX50)
cormorants2016-M.jpg

3. Snowy Egret (Nikon Coolpix P610)
snowyegretprofiletonybritton2016-L.jpg

4. Great Blue Heron (Canon SX50)
2016dgrinbritton%20%288%29-M.jpg

5. Green Heron (Canon SX40)
greenheronbritton2015-M.jpg

6. Snowy Egret (Nikon Coolpix P610)
DSCN2184-M.jpg

Wow again. You are getting great results from what must be regarded as cheap cameras. Highly impressive. The first and last of this second collection are superb.

I had a Fuji XS-1, with its 26x zoom, but gave it to my daughter when she went to university. I never managed shots like this when I had it. Beautiful work.

Others will be along soon with their comments. Traffic is quite slow these days, but the quality is high!

Greetings Tony.

Wow! What a fantastic set of pictures; the quality of those images is seriously impressive, well done!

Wow again. You are getting great results from what must be regarded as cheap cameras. Highly impressive. The first and last of this second collection are superb.

I had a Fuji XS-1, with its 26x zoom, but gave it to my daughter when she went to university. I never managed shots like this when I had it. Beautiful work.

Others will be along soon with their comments. Traffic is quite slow these days, but the quality is high!
Thanks again, Rob. It helps immensely that I've fully embraced a "look" or style I find appealing in my photography. I'm getting consistent results I'm very pleased with simply because I know how I want the image to appear well before I press the shutter. Each day I'm learning the profound difference between making a photograph and taking a photograph.

Tony

Tony, I'm beginning to think you literally capture these birds at night, bring them home to you studio, and have them pose under studio lights. I won't go so far as to say you stuff them first :eek::eek::eek::D Seriously good quality images.

Tony, I'm beginning to think you literally capture these birds at night, bring them home to you studio, and have them pose under studio lights. I won't go so far as to say you stuff them first :eek::eek::eek::D Seriously good quality images.
Well, my friends believe the reason I can get so close to these birds has something to do with my anchovy-scented cologne, but they're wrong. Wrong, I say!

As far as moving from a public environment to a private studio setting is concerned, I had to abandon this possibility due to their inability to sign a model release form. They certainly have no problem grasping a pen, they simply can't read or write. Who knew? "Great" Blue Heron, my foot!

I think it'd be hilarious in my forum Bio to list my occupation as "Taxidermist." Just a thought. :);)

Tony

As much as I like the comments here, for a change:eek: I must admit that I am truly impressed of how you've gone about it and captured these creatures in such a fine way, with such a great light and a super zoom. I must say you have been very inventive. Cheers Tony.

As much as I like the comments here, for a change:eek: I must admit that I am truly impressed of how you've gone about it and captured these creatures in such a fine way, with such a great light and a super zoom. I must say you have been very inventive. Cheers Tony.
Thanks very much, Ivar. It's a real thrill and honor to be in the presence of these magnificent birds and I'm very pleased you like my photographs.

Tony

I hope you'll enjoy this set.

1. Snowy Egret
audubon2015tonybritton%20%2814%29-M.jpg

2. Double-crested Cormorant
DSCN0289-M.jpg

3. Green Heron
DGRIN2016Britton%20%286%29-L.jpg

4. Black-crowned Night Heron
IMG_5086-M.jpg

5. Great Egret
DGRIN2016Britton%20%2811%29-M.jpg