Strictly For The Birds

Pete said it all, and may I ad a question, what camera are you using here? It really doesn't matter that much since it is you who have done a great job. But it would be nice to know how close you can get and how well the camera renders these lovely birds and colours!

Pete said it all, and may I ad a question, what camera are you using here? It really doesn't matter that much since it is you who have done a great job. But it would be nice to know how close you can get and how well the camera renders these lovely birds and colours!
Of course, Ivar. I use three cameras, which include the Canon SX40, my favorite: Canon SX50 and Nikon Coolpix P610. I'd be happy to provide exactly which camera was used if you ever have a specific photo in mind.

I always purchase a camera for one very specific reason. If it does other things well then that's an additional bonus! These three cameras were purchased purely for their zoom capabilities. Each model simply provided an increase in their available zoom range.

Instead of using the massive zooms these cameras provide to photograph a very distant subject, I use the zoom to "fill the frame" with a very near subject. Capturing fine detail is my primary goal so proximity is paramount. Since I strongly favor portrait style captures I spent a fair amount of time scouting locations that would allow me close access to my subjects. Harbors, a municipal wharf, lakes, as well as well-traveled coastal trails, where these birds are somewhat accustomed to the presence of humans has allowed me this.

Therefore, I can often get within 5-10 feet of many of my subjects! So, much like the mantra in the business of retail, it's "location, location, location!

Tony

Beautiful set of images Tony, love the compositions, the colours and the tones are just exquisite.

I hope you'll enjoy this next set.

1. Snowy Egret
audubon2015tonybritton%20%2813%29-L.jpg

2. Double-crested Cormorant
glorious%20cormorant-L.jpg

3. Muscovy Duck
muscovy2016-M.jpg

4. Heermann's Gull
IMG_7707-M.jpg

Last edited:
Another beautiful set. The long lens and shallow DoF really isolates the subjects from the background showing them off to their best.

Birdman! Beautiful work and the purposeful way you go about it is impressive! (<--understatement!)
Thanks, Brian. Congratulations on your excellent website. I'm especially drawn to your fantastic Automobiles & Architecture galleries, two categories of photography I've yet to explore. The shot of the Honda S2000 is a stunner!

Tony

I wanted to include at least one set of my favorite CAPTIVE bird photos. While certainly not technically demanding given the environment, still it's fun to try and present these subjects in a manner that allows them to appear, well, less captive! Hand-held, no cropping.

Tony

1. American Flamingo
IMG_5689%20%283%29-M.jpg

2. Harris's Hawk
canon%20hawks%202012%20%283%29-M.jpg

3. Great Horned Owl
zoocollectionbritton2016-M.jpg

4. Blue-bellied Roller
brittonzoo-M.jpg

5. Himalayan Monal
IMG_6248-M.jpg

6. East African Crowned Crane
sx50%20zoo%20series%202013%20%2817%29-M.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Brian. Congratulations on your excellent website. I'm especially drawn to your fantastic Automobiles & Architecture galleries, two categories of photography I've yet to explore. The shot of the Honda S2000 is a stunner!

Tony
Thanks for taking the time to look and thanks especially for the compliment. Much appreciated, Tony!

Back