Strictly For The Birds

I haven't posted in quite a while. Here's a few of my recent favorites I hope you'll enjoy.

Best regards,
Tony

DSC07378-L.jpg

snowyegretbritton2017sony-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Well, we've really missed your talents, Tony. Stunning, as usual. I don't know how you do it. Patience, stealth, and a long lens, I imagine! And a good eye.

Hope you're doing well. Hoping you'll enjoy a few more portraits.

Western Gull
DSC05758-M.jpg

Black-crowned Night Heron
IMG_5250-M.jpg

Double-crested Cormorant
DSC02178-M.jpg

Black Oystercatcher

tonybrittonbloy2016-M.jpg

Seasons greetings to you Tony.
The quality of your images is fantastic, as always. How do you get them so sharp with a long lens?

Seasons greetings to you Tony.
The quality of your images is fantastic, as always. How do you get them so sharp with a long lens?
Thanks very much, Dave. Proximity is the key. I use the long zoom on my cameras to "fill the frame" with very near subjects and in this way, capture a good amount of detail. With good detail obtained, I can sharpen when desired in post. Also, I hardly ever have to crop an image given the generous amount of zoom I have available. My Sony DSC-RX10 M3 has an equivalent focal length of 600 mm and my Canon SX50 has a ridiculous 1200 mm!

Happy Holidays!
Tony

Got mysef a Lumix DMC-FZ72, partly as a result of seeing your fine pictures, has a 20 - 1200 range.
Very pleased with it, light enough to carry all day and very versatile. The wide end is great for landscapes, can get some strange effects due to atmospherics and foreshortening using the long end. I have yet to master wildlife pics, more practice needed.

Got mysef a Lumix DMC-FZ72, partly as a result of seeing your fine pictures, has a 20 - 1200 range.
Very pleased with it, light enough to carry all day and very versatile. The wide end is great for landscapes, can get some strange effects due to atmospherics and foreshortening using the long end. I have yet to master wildlife pics, more practice needed.
Hi Dave,
That's what I like about my SX50. Light-weight and very versatile. I'm not familiar with the Lumix, but most of my favorite bird & wildlife photos with the SX50 (1200 mm) display EXIF data as follows: I use Shutter Priority mode (Tv) with average shutter speeds of 1/640 sec, ISO 80-100 range, and negative Exposure Compensation around -1/3 to -2/3. This works especially well with white-feathered birds such as egrets. No "blown-highlights."

Best,
Tony

Last edited:
Fantastic photos in this thread. Here’s a small contribution. Saw this little one the other day. Looks to be a Western Meadowlark but unsure. C0C00B99-F2E4-4975-A0EE-15B97122995C.jpeg

A couple days after that first shoot I posted I captured this little one. I like this one better but still learning bird photography. 457A680C-3EC1-4BEE-A27C-788CFECF89C1.jpeg

Back