Strictly For The Birds

Wow, nice series Tony. Which camera and len did u take these shots?
Thanks, Aldous. Every photo was taken with a fixed-lens point-and-shoot superzoom camera. I currently own the Canon SX40, Canon SX50 and Nikon Coolpix P610, which are represented in this thread.

You have a truly fantastic Flickr website. Your black & white photos are especially wonderful.

Tony

Thanks, Aldous. Every photo was taken with a fixed-lens point-and-shoot superzoom camera. I currently own the Canon SX40, Canon SX50 and Nikon Coolpix P610, which are represented in this thread.

You have a truly fantastic Flickr website. Your black & white photos are especially wonderful.

Tony
Thanks Tony. May I follow your Flickr? :cool:

I hope you'll enjoy this set. Hand-held, no cropping.

1. Red-tailed Hawk
IMG_4084-M.jpg

2. Brandt's Cormorant
DSCN1552-M.jpg

3. Red-shouldered Hawk
IMG_6563-M.jpg

4. Black-crowned Night Heron
IMG_7502-M.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent work Tony, a very impressive set of sets! They show technique and knowledge but above all someone who understands both the craft and subject.

cool! Seems that all followers here are experienced photographers. I'm a beginner and I'm just wondering how to start my first photographing with my new Canon camera and new bestek canvas messenger camera bag. Hope to become a good photographer like you guys. :)

cool! Seems that all followers here are experienced photographers. I'm a beginner and I'm just wondering how to start my first photographing with my new Canon camera and new bestek canvas messenger camera bag. Hope to become a good photographer like you guys. :)
Thanks for commenting. Desire and practice will provide the foundation from which to build a lifetime of enjoyment with your photography. Wishing you the best!

Tony

Hello All,

I hope you'll enjoy this set. All wild, hand-held, no cropping. More fun with lighting!

IMG_4079-M.jpg

IMG_9438-M.jpg

IMG_8825-M.jpg

Last edited:
Masterly done and it goes to show that it is after all the photographer who counts and not so much what kind of camera one has. I am both envious and full of admiration. Wonderfully done again, just great, but I remain with a single question. How large can you make a print of this without any particular grain as the resolution of these cameras are after all, as they say, not comparable to let us say an aps-c format?

Masterly done and it goes to show that it is after all the photographer who counts and not so much what kind of camera one has. I am both envious and full of admiration. Wonderfully done again, just great, but I remain with a single question. How large can you make a print of this without any particular grain as the resolution of these cameras are after all, as they say, not comparable to let us say an aps-c format?
Hello Ivar.

Thanks for commenting. My Canon SX50 is a 12 megapixel camera. The largest print I've made thus far has been 16 x 20, which looked fantastic on glossy paper. Most of the prints I have made are 11 x 17 and I display them in group of three. I like this type of presentation. Of course, with any type of camera proximity is key to capturing good amounts of quality detail. Especially so in the case of my bridge camera. Other factors that help my photos include not having to crop the images, which applies to better than 95% of my captures and generally having the subject fill the frame with little to no inclusion of the environment. In this way I devote the great majority of the 12 megapixels to the subject and not to foreground and background information.

Tony

Back