Takumar Streets

Wes Hall

1000013471.jpg1000013474.jpg

Roaming the seaside town shooting at 1.4 with the Takumar 50mm.

1000013473.jpg
Trash talking across the generations

1000013476.jpg
Street shopping to prepare for the apocalypse

1000013472.jpg

It was nice to see Jim at the end of the day!

I'm impressed with this lens, it's got a character that's different to the 55mm f.2 I have paired to the Sigma SD, adding to what I feel is the missing link between a film stock and digital files.

1.4 is a challenge to use with zone focusing, which I achieved on the first three images, but took time on the last two (I'm going to have to check what aperture I shot that last one at as pretty certain it was 2.8 but looks to have more depth...).

Last edited:
Well, it looks like you've been having fun with it, whatever it's called. Zone focusing at f/1.4 must be a bit tricky. I was doing it at 5.6 yesterday and felt like I was pushing my luck a bit.

I wonder if it was film or digital, Wes? You mention the Sigma SD but not sure if that was used for these..

. I rather like the slightly lo-fi flavour of some of these. Reminds me a little of my result from a road trip a little while ago where I used a Pentax K10D with an Pentax-M SMC 50 f1.7. I fitted a 3rd party split-screen in that camera but focusing was still hard so I just went with it!

I think the last is my favorite.

Well, it looks like you've been having fun with it, whatever it's called. Zone focusing at f/1.4 must be a bit tricky. I was doing it at 5.6 yesterday and felt like I was pushing my luck a bit.
Absolutely fun, and yes tricky - I missed a few shots thanks to my stubbornness for wide open.

I wonder if it was film or digital, Wes? You mention the Sigma SD but not sure if that was used for these..

. I rather like the slightly lo-fi flavour of some of these. Reminds me a little of my result from a road trip a little while ago where I used a Pentax K10D with an Pentax-M SMC 50 f1.7. I fitted a 3rd party split-screen in that camera but focusing was still hard so I just went with it!

I think the last is my favorite.
Thanks Stevenson, it is the digital SD; I'm waiting on film developing at the moment so just sharing some from the Sigma.

I was saying this to my partner recently, the files from this sensor with vintage lenses have a textural quality to them- not grain like, but not typically clinical digital. They are my aesthetic.

The K10D I've seen some fantastic images from- do share!

Thanks Stevenson, it is the digital SD; I'm waiting on film developing at the moment so just sharing some from the Sigma.

I was saying this to my partner recently, the files from this sensor with vintage lenses have a textural quality to them- not grain like, but not typically clinical digital. They are my aesthetic.

The K10D I've seen some fantastic images from- do share!
Cool - I've never seen much from the SD. Nor do I know much about it, actually!
I love the K10D, not least because it was the stuff of my dreams but way outside my teenage budget when it was new - but I don't feel I have much work that really shows it at it's best. Still, I could certainly post a couple! I'll have a look now.... :)

Myself and a few others here are fans of Sigma and Foveon cameras Stevenson, they're certainly unique, and I feel, addictive once they bewitch you. If I had the money I'd have a range of their offerings.

I really like the pictures and your story. As I am of possibly another generation 😇 I appreciate manual lenses, but having trouble due to maybe old age. Today, I am to fetch a 50mm/f1,4 autofocus for my K3 or K5 from my post office. So in a short time, I shall again be filled with joy, whatever the weather does to me. Therefore it was quite interesting to see your images Wes, done with a fairly similar lens.:hhf:

I don't know about old age... I have endless issues reliably focusing my 50mm f1.7 on that K10d and I'm still in my 20s! (just!)
Easier on mirrorless but not the same experience.
I think it helps to spend time adjusting the dioptre on the viewfinder if you can as well as trusting what you see through their and less the focus confirmation - if I trust the SD15, my shots will be out of focus- use zone focus or my eyes, I can get it. May be worth checking Stevenson.

I really like the pictures and your story. As I am of possibly another generation 😇 I appreciate manual lenses, but having trouble due to maybe old age. Today, I am to fetch a 50mm/f1,4 autofocus for my K3 or K5 from my post office. So in a short time, I shall again be filled with joy, whatever the weather does to me. Therefore it was quite interesting to see your images Wes, done with a fairly similar lens.:hhf:
Thank you Ivar, I appreciate the kind words. I look forward to seeing how you get on with the autofocus 50 1.4- I can imagine there will be some interesting sights from the travelling you seem to do- and with your eye no less, it'll be fun to see the results.

Back