The Boot and Shoe Inn Pub

Mathew Growcoot

Did a PR job for moneywise magazine, article was about starting your own business, which gave me licence to do some nice portraits of the landlord.

Let me know your thoughts

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice set of images here Mathew i would have enjoyed taking images similar to these.......generally when i get the chance to spend some time in the pub i am a little worse for wear........!!

Image 1 – great idea with the snooker table and great POV but i do feel your image is a tad soft i would have expected the landlords face to be pin sharp. I am not sure if it is sharpness, focus or lens issue. What lens did you use??

Image 2 – very good relaxed feel with the landlord sat in his own pub... How could this be improved, well my thoughts are would it have been a better image with the fire blazing in the background and maybe the image taken later on in the day as the light outside fades and the interior light on.....maybe that would give the image a warmer cosy feel.

Image 3 & 4 – i like these alot but yet again i feel they are a tad soft for my preference.

Great work.

Daz

thanks darren

we did actually try to get the fire going but it was playing up and never got going properly!

I'm 99% sure there all pin sharp, I think its just that there all very low resolution, next time I wont make them so small.

I can see #1 being a great feature shot in the magazine - eye catching, tells a story, some space over the green baize for titles.

Hope you got to sample the product while at the pub?

yes i understand what you mean mathew it may be a resize issue for the forum displaythat may cause them to look this way to me......!

yes i understand what you mean mathew it may be a resize issue for the forum displaythat may cause them to look this way to me......!

i would be shot if they were out of focus!

I can see #1 being a great feature shot in the magazine - eye catching, tells a story, some space over the green baize for titles.

Hope you got to sample the product while at the pub?

i did, and he made me a sandwich. I then asked if he wanted payment, (not expecting him to say yes) he charged me £7 and then straight after asked for a copy of the pictures!
Cheeky barstard!

I like the first one,
i would have placed the chap further to the right in the second one
i like the framing of the third one, although the location is a bit abstract when not knowing the pub its self
i probably would have gone with a portrait shot for the last one, watched out for that flash in the reflection of the window and perhaps got a bit of the front of the building ... but of course i don't know what the front of the building looks like :)

If you want to get the best out of the images sharpness for the forum, resize to 900px or less wide and save to at least a quality of 65% of maximum jpeg quality ...

i did, and he made me a sandwich. I then asked if he wanted payment, (not expecting him to say yes) he charged me £7 and then straight after asked for a copy of the pictures!
Cheeky barstard!

I guess that's why he's in Moneywise magazine! :)

cheers hamish, i agree with you about the composition and the flash.

I did get him infront of the pub, there were about 30 pics in total, these are my favourites.

Back