The Show off your HiFi Thread

You certainly put your finger on it Hamish I think. Having a system that plays your music in a way that you enjoy. I have bought very little equipment over the years but tons of music (LP and CD). Twenty five or so years ago I upgraded an old Sony DD deck that I''d saved up for when I was 17 to a Rega Planar 3 / RB250 / Corus Blue. Then replaced the late ''70''s amp with a OA21s from Onix. All this was originally playing through a pair of S/H Goodman Magnum speakers (quite handy as side tables but not the cleanest of sounds!) - which had replaced the pair of plastic speakers (re-housed in chipboard boxes I''ll have you know though!) that came from the first record player I''d bought myself at 14 (Fildelity with a lid that separated into 2 speakers) from Woolies (a quality bit of kit I can tell you)!! Interestingly the Sony, amp and Magnums are still being used by the friend I gave them to 20 years ago. The Sony replaced the Fidelity when I could afford it to save the records from being ground away but continued as the amplifier using a battery powered ''phono stage'' for a further couple of years.

And that was fine for a few years but when albums started being released on CD only I knew I had to do something. I''d already decided that I wanted a pair of Rega Ela speakers after hearing them at Reading Hi-Fi when I bought my Onix amp and so went in to audition a couple of ''award winning'' CD players at the same time (having got a better paid job). Unfortunately the Rega Planar blew them away and after listening to a few more (and much more expensive) CD players I ended up with a Meridian 206b (if I recall correctly this was about £1K in ''88 - a bit of a shock I can tell you!). So that left me with a Rega deck, Meridian CD integrated player / DAC (well they bolted the 2 units together with a metal plate), Regal Ela speakers and Exposure cables. And I still have it all and it still performs amazingly well.

The trouble started when I decided to put a second system together to use in Germany and that, as I liked what I had, I''d just source S/H versions of it. That is when I realised how difficult it was to get S/H Onix gear and how good they actually were. After talking to Reading Hi-Fi (now an Audio-T franchise - same guy I bought my original stuff from is still there although I ended up dealing with his colleague) I was told I should really upgrade my CD source as I''d be blown away by the advances that had been made (he tried to point me towards Naim). So I started to look and listen and I wasn''t blown away at all. OK, there were improvements but not what I was expecting after so many years. Anyway I started to put together another system so I could take my original gear to Germany. Bought a nice ''vintage'' Exposure amplification system XI/XII Super VIIIs (anyone interested?) as I couldn''t find any Onix gear. Added another Meridian CD / DAC (or 2) and then stumbled upon the Lector at Audio Oasis (S/H but hardly played). It did everything I loved about the Meridian but with more detail etc and so that replaced the original Meridian (which I still have). Bought the mono-blocks to try to get the Exposure amplifcation to sound more like the Onix (helped but Exposure really were into ''transistor sound''). Then I spotted an Onix pre / power setup and snapped it up. However, I kept using the pair of Meridian mono-blocks after discovering that I really could not distinguish between the Meridian mono-blocks and the Onix power amp (or the 601 I had bought in Germany - how does this happen!!). So I was using the power amp as the power supply for the pre-amp only but would have liked the dedicated power supply (SOAP). Six months later I managed to buy a pre / SOAP power combo from a ''famous'' Onix enthusiast in France - so at least I have a spare pre-amp and 2 power amps (and an integrated OA21s - argg).

During this ordeal I tried a fair few cables and settled on Siltech New York interconnects and Isotek mains cables. But throughout all this I kept the Rega Elas even after trying quite a few alternatives. Tried various speaker cables but stuck with the Exposure ones in the end (Townshend came close to bettering them not enough to make me change - might still do but it is really marginal). Added mains conditioning via Isotek Titan and Sigmas (after trying them for a month - again from Audio Oasis - much bigger difference than the speaker cables) and then, after a lot of dithering added Townshend Supertweeters (they do indeed do what they say and rounded the system off nicely!). Also bought an Onix tuner and SOAP when I saw one and a nice Nakamichi cassette deck (virtually unused DR-2 - couldn''t afford one when they were current - and they are not that cheap even now) which is quite handy as my car has a classic Clariant cassette / radio that I am loath to take out as it matches the interior so well.\n\nWith all that out of the way I went back to buying excessive numbers of CDs and LPs again!! Although I did start to think about improving my Rega Planar and there is also a Well Tempered Amadeus that I''d quite like to listen to...

Help!!

Tim - those speakers look soooo tall! :D

And shiny - never seen anything like them - very cool :)

Yes they are quite tall Chris!

b&wxt41.jpg

I love the looks. I'm not sure SWMBO does, but she vetoed "rectangular wooden boxes" and wanted a Bose-type system :eek: so this was all I could get approval for.

We may move house in the spring, and I might have a different space where I can choose what I want.

Last edited:
I've never heard an electrostatic speaker, but all the people who know my taste in hifi best say I would like them a lot!
Where to put them though??
I'd need more space for sure!
I seriously thought about gettin some magnepans for a while ... But I reckon the missis would literally explode!

I seem to remember hearing that electrostatics have a very small "sweet spot" for listening (soundstage etc). Is that the case Peter?

Harman/Kardon HK395

My Sound by dajoolzcat, on Flickr

These are my Laptop speakers... well just the one, nothing special, nothing massive, just a 2.1. But, sound pretty good for what they are.

I love sound, bieng musically inspired from the age of 10, Instruments were always my thing.
The biggest and most amazing thing I had ever owned was a Marshall JCM2000 valve amp with 4x12" half stack (limited edition british racing green) pumped up by a BOSS GT-8 Multi effects processor, and all that was fed by a Kramer Explorer (James Hetfield style) with Twin Seymour Duncan Mayhem pickups and 13 gauge strings B Dropped....... Now that was HEAVY!!!
I loved it........ then I had children :(...... needs must and all that.

I learned after having that beast that I'd never acheive the raw sound that roared from it anywhere else. It was like pouring cream into my ears (is that pleasurable?)
Never the less guys, going off subject here... this is more of an effort of composure that 'showing off' my speakers. :)

A nudge today about this thread reminds me...

I'm getting a very special upgrade to my system later this week, all paid for and awaiting delivery!

More later.....

Sorry Guys couldn't resist joining in this fantastic show of kit, just wish I had something to post.

anyway hears my system, speakers only :D:D:D

MySpeaker.jpg

:D:D:D sorry guys but when a need needs filling you can trust on KK

Now that's mean Tim!! Keeping us waiting.

I hope to audition a Well Tempered deck this month at some point too. So maybe there will be a bit of a flourish of Hi-Fi related activity in early 2012.

Sounds good, Pete. Keep us posted.

Exciting times ... I've just dug out some old photos

My old techie
_DSC2426.jpg

My valve amp (I still have this... Yours for £1600!)
272db75c.jpg

This might tickle your balls Dan, those big valves are KT88's ... Quite possibly what you had in you marshal, quite similar if not!
This might tickle them even more, that amp was tweaked by (an is actually currently in the possession of) a chap who, although he won't admit it of asked modifies guitar amps for the likes of Jimmy page!

Now that's mean Tim!! Keeping us waiting.

I hope to audition a Well Tempered deck this month at some point too. So maybe there will be a bit of a flourish of Hi-Fi related activity in early 2012.

Ooo, the Amadeus? I'm reliably informed that it is a work of genius that thing!

Ooh, that's is ball tickling! Some phat valves there Hammer!! Do they glow when put to the test??

Back