The Show off your HiFi Thread

The ones I had in my marshall where 4x ECC83 and 4x EL34 tubes, loved the way the illuminated with a delicate glow!

Ah ha - that brings back memories Hamish - I used to have one of these

k4040.jpg

Lots of EL34 tubes, heated the house up quite nicely! :D

I built it by hand from a Velleman kit - lots of silver soldering (700 connections), high voltages, and HUGE toroidal transformers.

k4040_f1.jpg

Specifications

output power: 2 x 90Wrms music power for loads of 4 or 8 ohm
power bandwidth: 15Hz - 40kHz (-3dB ref. 50W)
frequency range: 8Hz - 80kHz (-3dB ref. 1W)
harmonic distortion: 0.08% (1kHz / 1W) / 0.7% (1kHz / 90W)
signal-to-noise ratio: > 105dB (A-weighted ref. 90W)
channel separation: >75dB (ref. 90W)
input impedance: 34Kohm
input sensitivity: 1Vrms at 95W
damping factor: >10 (100Hz)
weight: 23.46Kg

I had a digital pre-amp, and a pair of Linn Keilidhs - probably sounded terrible! :D

The valve amp is still in my dad's shed I think - buyer collects as it weighs a bleepin' ton

Last edited:
Here it is then folks! That special upgrade I mentioned.

I've got a new amp - I've stuck with integrated rather than go pre/power, and chose the Leema Tucana Mk. II which I got with a very tasty discount.

It weighs a TON!!! 18kg. That's because it has two separate transformers for the twin mono power amps inside, and another for the control electronics.

It has an immediate sense of power and authority, effortless at high volume. Will be even better, more musical, when it is run in properly. When I can I'll take a photo of mine in situ... until then here is what this baby looks like in the brochure:

2_01.jpg

OK here are some photos.

BEFORE you tell me, YES the cables need some tidying and YES the shelf needs dusting!

IMG_6976.jpg

IMG_6993.jpg

IMG_6996.jpg

IMG_6997.jpg

IMG_6968.jpg

I've only ever heard good things about Leema equipment. Dual mono too and by what you say monster power supplies. I can't remember what speakers you have (if you've posted before) but I guess this would drive pretty much anything.

My speakers are the B&W XT4s - photos earlier in the thread.

Yes, although not run in yet the power they provide seems to be awesome - I'm just waiting till I get the house to myself for a bit to really try it out!

The amp seems like a good choice as the XT4s sensitivity are relatively low at 86dB. I know what you mean, Kerri used to work evenings which was my hifi time. These days I wait until the family all goes out, especially when I get the records out.

The only Leema hifi I have heard was really nice, but only heard it for a short time!
I was then asked to help move it ... to say it was heavy was an understatement, and the build quality was remarkable!

Looks like one of the 'tubes' in my DAC went pop yesterday so today I took it down to Phonography neat Winchester to get it repaired and at the same time have a listen to a Well Tempered Amadeus record deck. Nice bunch of people there I have to say, very relaxed and situated in the middle of nowhere!

The Amadeus was impressively detailed but I found it a bit waring to listen to. So I listened to a refurbished vintage Linn LP12 fitted with a Khan top-plate, 2-speed PS and Funk FX-R tonearm and Dynavector XX-2 cartridge as well. Well, let's just say that the deposit has been paid and building will start next week!! :)

Mine has been languishing in a cupboard for a few years but I want to start playing it again (and I'm running out of room for CDs!). Based on what I heard today, I'm really missing out and I might set up my Rega Planar 3 / RB250 this afternoon just to get myself in the mood!!

Sorry Pete, I thought you said Linn LP12 but you couldn't have, the swear filter would have picked it up :). Just kidding, I think no other TT have caused such arguments on Hifi forums. I have heard that the various modifications available for it really make a difference.

I can imagine. I only compared it with the Well Tempered deck and my aging RP3/RB250. I also didn't want something that I couldn't put a lid on (17th Centrury cottages tend to be pretty dusty places - well mine does anyway ;)) or looked like it came out of a '70 Sci-Fi film. And it had to be enjoyable to listen to. I find the Gyrodek (aside from its looks) too demanding and the Well Tempered was similar in many ways. The modified LP12 just did such a great job of delivering the music and I think it will blend well with my system / room / preferences.

Lector Digidrive + PSU, Lector Digicode 224 DAC + PSU, Onix OA24 Pre-amplifier + SOAP PSU, Meridian 205 mono-block power amplifiers fed by an Isotek Titan (the rest is fed by a Sigmas) all strung together with Siltech New York interconnects (except for CD to DAC which uses the Lector XLR connector) and feeding a pair of Rega Ela (Mk 1.5) speakers (and Townshend Maximum Supertweeters) via Exposure cables. There is also an Onix BWD-1 tuner + SOAP PSU and a Nakamichi DR-2 cassette deck. Also Isotek and Isokinetic (2.5mm sq) mains cables / plugs.

Last edited:
I haven't had many TT's but after hearing a few that friends had and at shows etc I settled on a Garrard 401 in a slate plinth. I have a modified RB250 that I replaced the ball bearings with a solid PTFE bearing. The biggest difference though was when I bought an Ortofon Rohmann cartridge. I am a between speakers at the moment though, I sold my Martin Loagans and haven't got round to replacing them. Currently using some Creative active computer speakers that don't actually sound bad believe it or not.

Back