The Show off your HiFi Thread

I suspect that turntables are probably the hardest thing to choose (and set up right). I've actually only owned 3 since I was 16. The first was a Fidelity record player from Woolies then a Sony direct drive deck, then came my Rega Planar 3 / RB250 that I've had since about '91 (I guess). And now comes the modified Sondek. I also didn't want to get into an endless search for a cartridge and went with the one in the setup I heard (and was tempted by in any case). In fact the rest of my system has changed very little (http://www.realphotographersforum.c...related/3461-show-off-your-hifi-thread-3.html). What speakers do you have in mind (and what's it going with)?

I haven't really got any decent pics of my system. Here is the TT:
RohmannCloseUp.jpg

401Closeup1.jpg

I had a recent computer failure and am still loading CDs onto the the PC that is dedicated to playing music. it holds all the CDs in uncompressed WAV format.
001-4.jpg

001-3.jpg

I used to have a Word Designs VA88 but a while ago I made my own amp just because I had enough bits laying around (I have made a few amps) and really liked it. Actually sold the valve amp in the end. It is not pretty (yet) and I don't have any photos of it complete but here are a few while it was being built. It is not obvious but the power supply is dual mono with separate circuitry for the low power stages. The transformers are housed under a sub chassis that the power supply circuit sits on. They are quite large something like 300 or 500VA each.
DSC01058.jpg

DSC01053.jpg

Err, yeah, I dust it! Baby wipes are particularly good and I find them very useful for removing static from records as well. Some people go wild about using anything that might degrade the record but I would have thought that the acid in the paper sleeves would be more damaging if at all that baby wipes.

Well, as promised, here are some photos of my Hi-Fi as promised. Dust and all!

Lector Digidrive II CD transport.

Hi-Fi-1.jpg

Hi-Fi-2.jpg

Rega Planar 3 / RG250 / Corus Blue soon to be replaced by a modified vintage Linn LP-12.

Hi-Fi-5.jpg

Rega Ela speaker with Townshend supertweeter.

Hi-Fi-3.jpg

RH speaker.

Hi-Fi-7.jpg

LH speaker with (temporary) cabinet behind plus Isotek Titan (behind carving from Africa - thank you Blanka! :) ) - the Sigmas is under the cabinet. I'll take a shot of the contents properly when the DAC comes back from repair.

Hi-Fi-4.jpg

Special antique coin I usually stick to my forehead while listening to the system.

Hi-Fi-6.jpg

It result in a dramatic improvement to imaging and sound-stage. Doesn't work so well with avant-garde jazz though. Haven't tried it on the hot-shoe of my D3 yet but I'm pretty sure it will help with that illusive 3-D look you are after Hamish.

It's because you are the only one who knows the secret of audiophile dust Pete!
Take away the chore of having to clean dust of things and you can enjoy it chore free ... Beltist technique ;)

If you phono pre amp building skills are anything to go by I'd reckon that amps pretty good Paul :)
Speaking of which, might there be any merit in supplying that pre with a linear supply?
Also would the guts of it fit on one of those maplin cases like the one nick uses The Lurcher power supply.. - The Art of Sound Forum

Last edited:
Cheers for the tip Pete ;)
Nice looking sytem ... Out of interest, do you know what I mean by that 3d look? Maybe a reply in the apropriate thread might be better if you have any thoughts ... ... ...?

i enjoyed reading through this thread but some of the stuff i have never heard of

i when't through the HIFI stage back in the 80s / 90s and more or less gave up in the 00's
during the early 80's i was dabbling with hifi and settled for an odd system consisting of an LP12 with the alphason HR 100s arm and an audio technica cartridge ( can't remember which model ) a doxa 04 preamp and perreaux PMF 1150b power amp
speakers were the massive Acoustic Research AR9LS ( they looked massive at the time ) other bits were the aiwa ADF 990 tape deck and i think a technics tuner at the time. i added a marantz cd 94 to the setup towards the end of the 80's ( 87 i think )
after making my ears bleed for a few years ( you had to drive the system to get the best out of it ) i had a change of heart as we progressed in to the 90's and swapped out the AR 9LS speakers for a pair of kef Reference 107's and also replaced the amp / pre amp with meridian pre and 205 power amps i also addded a DPA little bit 2 DAC to the cd player
kept this system up untill a few years ago and have now swapped out the kef Reference 107's for kef Reference model 4's and replaced the cd player / dpa DAC with a meridian cd player
to be honest it doesn't get used much nowadays and iv'e pretty much given up on it i just can't find the time to sit down and have a good listening session any more but it's there if i do in the future :)

If im honest mine has taken a bit of a drop in use since that big white bird delivered my Daughter (chubby midwife ;))
The thing is though, I couldn't sell it ... It would be too missed the times I did want a listen ... Sometimes a good hifi, good whisky and some good music is the only thing to get a man out of a mood ... IME at least :)

Show us some pics if you have a thought to!

So today I drove down to Phonography near Winchester to pick up the Linn Sondek they had built for me and to select a phono-stage amplifier. Although the Onix pre-amplifier has well respected MM and MC phono-stages built-in it is about 2 m from where the turntable has to be sited ('cos the Lector CD transport is top loading). So it is better to extend cables from an amplified source than the low output from the cartridge.

Anyway, here is the turntable on a temporary support(!) along with the Attwood phono-stage and PS (the Onix tuner isn't being used at the moment and the pre-amplifier is a spare).

Sondek2of1.jpg

And here is a quick shot of 'Dig my Mood' by Nick Lowe spinning away and sounding pretty damned good!

Sondek1of1.jpg

Looking good Pete!
I've spent today tinkering with my pioneer as it goes... Got it sounding pretty decent now I think...
Not sure how it would compare to yours mind, that funk arm sounds as good as it looks I'd reckon you are on to a winner!

Is there a hole in the bathroom floor now Hamish?!! ;)

I made one for a Rega Planar 3 years ago. I remember that it made a difference but can't recall if it was good or not. It seems to have the felt back on it now. I bought an Acumat recently from Funk but haven't had a chance to try it as it means re-setting the VTA and my eye's weren't up to it. I'll give it a go when I'm back at the beginning of June.

haha ... it does look a bit like floor tile eh...
I tried it against the blue horizon one which is very similar but made of two layers ... this one was better and the result was very positive... it was a rubber one on before and im lead to believe they are not always ideal

I would think the cork would keep the sound warm - as it keeps your feet warm when used in the bathroom.... :D

Got one of these today

53c1003f.jpg

For £200 it's mind boggling how good it is ... As good but very different to my majik dsi

Took a photo of it in the studio ... Not so happy with it, but her it is anyway

_NIK3984.jpg

Back