Whiteford Lighhouse MORE PICS ADDED

Darren Turner

XProPhotographer
_MG_0112Small.jpg

An amazing 6 or so mile walk early yesterday takes you to this stunning rusty disused lighthouse in the estuary, which only can be reached at low tide. However you only have about an hour before the tides starts to return as its surrounded by the curving estuary on about 3 sides so you have to be real crafeull. Laurie said i think tides coming back, i thought she was joking until i realised the stepping stones i reach the actual plinth around the base of the lighthouse had submeregd, it was a quick panic and exchange of wellies to get us off the plinth & head back to the sand dunes quick style :):p

It is an unusual cast-iron lighthouse built in 1865, by the Llanelli Harbour and Burry Navigation Commissioners to mark the shoals of Whiteford Point, replacing an earlier piled structure of 1854, of which nothing remains. It is the only wave-swept cast-iron tower of this size in Britain. The tower is 44 feet high and stands just above low-water level. The base is about 24 feet in diameter and rises gracefully to a diameter of 11 feet six inches at lantern level. Around the base of the Lighthouse lies a pitched stone apron.

MORE INFO HERE

loving it, nice use of the foreground and great contrast on the lighthouse

Great shot Darren ...... Great composition with the reflection coming to the foreground.

I like this a lot.

Pete

I can quite imagine geting stuck out there, it looks like there's plenty of scope for photos of the details as well.

Great photo.

That's a lovely shot Darren!
I'm not entirely convinced its straight ... But I can't quite tell... It's odd!
Still nice shot and nice compo for sure!

Very nice shot!

Very interesting old structure. Love the foreground & the low level horizon hugging clouds. I think the vapour trails crossing behind the lighthouse add to it too. Lovely blues in that sky.

Love the way you organized the con trails to cross at the subject!

Fantastic image and story

I'd go B&W, but I do like the color a lot :)

7221467440_902b7fc5cb_z.jpg

7221505268_6cd8767795_z.jpg

7221468128_55de7b32b7_z.jpg

7221466388_485283bf23_z.jpg

partaking in a little ipadorgraphy :eek:

Daz

Back