Critique Welcomed A Lot Of Fog, A Little Sunlight ... Sometimes You Get Lucky

Keith Hollister

Went up to DeLeon Springs State Park nearby this morning for pancakes at the restaurant in an old sugar mill (you cook them yourself at your table - there is a griddle built in). It was quite foggy, fairly chilly and just enough sunlight was peeking through to make for some pretty good atmospheric photography. Fuji X-E2 & XF 14mm (I think I could have just bought the 14 & 60mm lenses - it seems to be mostly what I use).

DeLeon Springs (as in Ponce de Leon) is another old Florida commercial vacation spot rescued from developers by the State of Florida and turned into a state park. The restaurant is in an old sugar mill and every table has a large griddle set in the center. They bring pancake batter in a pitcher and eggs and you cook your own breakfast at the table. The place is wildly popular and if you don't get there when it opens, you will be in for over an hour wait most weekends or holidays. There was an expansive hotel on the springs until the 60's, complete with an underwater observation window to see guests swimming in the springs. There was the obligatory water ski show, and the highlight was a baby elephant that would water ski on a custom ski platform (I'm sure PETA would have a heart attack today). Cool place if you are ever in the Central Florida area. Blue Springs State Park is nearby where manatees come to winter when it gets cold here (not often fortunately).

Thanks, everyone. As the saying goes, "chance favors the prepared mind".

I would have loved to shot the last one with a slow SS to blur the water, but I had a tripod in the trunk of the car but no ND filters with me. Wasn't quite prepared enough I guess.

Lovely set Keith - just can't beat great light and a bit of weather to complete the picture

Nice shots...nice story.
We are heading to your state...Naples...next week. DrSWMBO is speaking at a Nursing Deans conference.

Thanks, folks.

Back