Amazing colour footage 65years on

Thomas brookes

RPF Chief iPhone app Reviewer
Victory in Japan celebrations on honolulu I found this video amazing to watch.

Also could any video buffs tell me what type of film cameras the us army would of used or been issued with. Or if they where personal items what kind of thing would they have used?

I'm looking at getting something for re-enactment maybe a broken one I can stick a mini cam in

http://vimeo.com/5645171

What a great find Tom! :)

The camera shown in the first few seconds of the film may be the same type used to shoot the sequence - we don't know for sure.

web.jpg

I'm pretty certain this camera is a Keystone A-3 or A-7 16mm film camera - both have the same body design.

il_fullxfull.158091915.jpg

http://www.agassiztrading.com/cameras-film/cameras/cameras-16mm/16mm-keystone-a7.htm

This would be a 1930s-1940s model wind-up 16mm camera, so perfectly in period for WWII, and available to US service personnel.

Currently on EBAY listed at £41.50 Buy It Now

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-KEYSTONE-MODEL-A-7-MOVIE-CAMERA-16mm-/180696719647?pt=US_Vintage_Cameras&hash=item2a125d211f#ht_2989wt_1141

There are cheaper ones with no lenses included - so you need to look closely at the listings.

There's one left with a day to run on the auction, and it's only at £3.66 with zero bids so far.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-NICE-Vintage-Keystone-Model-A-7-16mm-Cine-Camera-/130557206669?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e65d0e08d#ht_928wt_1141

I can't find anything definitive on them being military issue - most likely something that you took with you as a personal item.

The US military cameras I've seen, were very specialized - things like gun cameras etc

Are you thinking of getting one and using film Tom?
Or are you seriously considering converting one?
It would be more expensive, but so much cooler if you used film!
I'm not sure how you dev it round ere but I can get deved cini film on to DVD through the shop, although it ain't cheap...
If you do go down this road let me know, as I really want to put a film through my nans cameras and need a kick up the bum to do it, your doing this would provide me with that kick up the bum!

8mm cini was introduced in the 30's Tom, so why not go for a 8mm cam? Might be easier?? Don't really know what I'm taking about here really ... But as mine is 8mm we would be doing the same thing and could share some purchases should the necessity arise??
We could even get a projector!!!

Looking at the second EBAY listing I posted - I think Tom may now be the proud owner of the 16mm Keystone!

The winning bidder has done a lot of bidding on Collectables > World War II (1939-1945) recently ;)

A bargain for £4.93 - can't beat that.

Hahahaha!!!!! Yes chris that is me!! Hahaha
Altho im having issues with the seller now!!! Hamish I already own 2 8mm I wanted a bigger one for more room thinking of putting my iPhone in and filming with those retro cam apps. Might be the cheaper option?

Any way these are my beautiful baby's

4c34aaf3.jpg

7a8115a7.jpg

ed550549.jpg

Hamish - I paid :$20.99 a roll (non process paid) for the same 50' 100 ASA film

Processing and Telecine to a computer file was $12 a roll for processing, plus $12 a roll for the scan/transfer.

So around $45 a roll all in - Buy/Dev/Scan - or 28 quid in real money

The 1945 film is a very good view, thanks for posting.

Agreed - and the quality of 16mm is very enticing - will be giving it a go myself soon, so fingers crossed!

yes chris £4.93 sorry i thaught it was 4.19 in my pm to you!! hamish where would you get film for 8mm i would love to have a go!!
how long do they run for and how much to convert?

Hamish - I paid :$20.99 a roll (non process paid) for the same 50' 100 ASA film

Processing and Telecine to a computer file was $12 a roll for processing, plus $12 a roll for the scan/transfer.

So around $45 a roll all in - Buy/Dev/Scan - or 28 quid in real money

A lot cheaper then ... Might there be any merit in me and Tom dealing with who ever you deal with???

Back