Bienvenue à Québec!

Glenn Clabo

Laurie and I went on a very relaxing holiday in beautiful Québec. We really enjoyed the relaxing time...but we went for a little adventure with a hunting/fishing guide to observe the wildlife. Please know that this guide has been doing it for 30 years...and never did he put us or the (especially) animals in harms way...especially that viscous chipmunk. We were not allowed to talk...or feed these animals...just observe. These were all taken with a 135mm and a 1.4 extender from his observation blinds. I'm an ex lone back packer...who mostly tried to stay as far away from bears as possible. This really was an incredible experience.

An actual blond black bear!
Blond Bear.jpg

This guy was very busy and way too close to that bear.
chipmunk.jpg

Could watch this little guy all day...

cub face.jpg

One of the first things the mother bear teaches the cubs is to climb trees. It's amazing how fast they get up there.
cub in tree.jpg

Calling Mom...
cub standing.jpg
A intruder playing peak-a-boo...
raccoon.jpg

Glen these are excellent. I watch a part of a documentary the other evening about these bears. It was about a guy who tagged them for research and some of the hunters in his area vehemently disapproved or felt threatened by what he was doing. The gut recognised himself that the bears there needed culling, but the hunters went out to target the tagged bears. Besides all of that the filming of the bears themselves showed what beautiful creatures they are. Of course we have nothing close to the wildlife you have and never have this kind of opportunity.

Glen these are excellent. I watch a part of a documentary the other evening about these bears. It was about a guy who tagged them for research and some of the hunters in his area vehemently disapproved or felt threatened by what he was doing. The gut recognised himself that the bears there needed culling, but the hunters went out to target the tagged bears. Besides all of that the filming of the bears themselves showed what beautiful creatures they are. Of course we have nothing close to the wildlife you have and never have this kind of opportunity.
Thanks Julian. Yes they are amazing animals. The guide is also a hunting/fishing guide who refuses to take anyone out that wants to kill just for the sport. He made it very clear that he loved these animals even more than humans. I think Laurie would left me for him if it wasn't for the fact that there were no shoe stores within a 200 miles. ;)

Wow, stunning, Glenn. Such great images. What a day, I've been to China with Tom, and now Quebec with Glenn- where next? These are superb shots - you brought it off when the time came, Glenn. Superb.

Wow, stunning, Glenn. Such great images. What a day, I've been to China with Tom, and now Quebec with Glenn- where next? These are superb shots - you brought it off when the time came, Glenn. Superb.
Thank you sir. The best I'll be able to do for ya is North Carolina next month. ;)

Super duper set, Glenn! I like that wee racoon image a lot!
"Super duper"? Love it!!!
I grew up in the country...outside of Boston so I had lots of wild animal pets...chipmunks... birds...turtles...frogs...and even bats. My baby raccoon was my absolutely favorite until my dad made me let him free. He wouldn't leave his hat alone. Really...a true story.

and i figured you'd just checked in to the betty ford. great series, pretty amazing when even nature has started following humans with the blond highlights craze. love the vicious chipmunk, he looks like he might make quick work of your ankles.

where are you heading in north carolina?

and i figured you'd just checked in to the betty ford. great series, pretty amazing when even nature has started following humans with the blond highlights craze. love the vicious chipmunk, he looks like he might make quick work of your ankles.
where are you heading in north carolina?

Shhh...I took over Rob Fords spot. :eek:
I didn't post the pic of the cubs mom...but she is completely black except for a small patch of blond on her back. I never knew that happened but I'd say her hair dresser deserves a big tip.
Heading to Greensboro NC to attend Laurie's RWJ Executive Nurse Fellow graduation. I'll have some time to explore while she does her Nursey brainiac thing...then I'll get all dressed up and cheer her on at the ceremony. Proud moment in her career.
http://www.executivenursefellows.org/fellow-detail.php?DirectoryId=2398

Shhh...I took over Rob Fords spot. :eek:
I didn't post the pic of the cubs mom...but she is completely black except for a small patch of blond on her back. I never knew that happened but I'd say her hair dresser deserves a big tip.
Heading to Greensboro NC to attend Laurie's RWJ Executive Nurse Fellow graduation. I'll have some time to explore while she does her Nursey brainiac thing...then I'll get all dressed up and cheer her on at the ceremony. Proud moment in her career.
http://www.executivenursefellows.org/fellow-detail.php?DirectoryId=2398

sweet, tell her congrats! while you're down there check out a restaurant in greensboro called phoenix asia. used to go there quite often when i was in school in high point.

I just love your set of pictures Glenn. Your story is a good read, unfortunately I have to go to your country or Canada to see them. Here they tend to shoot them on sight and we don't even have 50 of them, mostly preserved swedes that wander across. I'm ashamed of being a Norwegian at times. By the way, how far apart were you in general and what lens did you use? Wonderful set.

Back