Cheap as Chips Challenge! RPF Photo Competition

Cheap as Chips Challenge... Olympus Trip XB40AF

While in a charity shop last week I took the plunge and bought my first ever film camera.
It's not a "Real Camera" just a point and shoot thing for £2.99 also in the box of cameras was a single roll of film for £1. So I'm now kitted out for a grand total of £3.99p:).

The camera is an Olympus Trip XB40 AF and the film is a 25 exposure Kodak ADVANTiX Ultra colour film ISO 200.
Cheapaschipschallenge.jpg

Now for some questions from a "Film Virgin" so to speak!:eek:.

Will the Kodak film I bought still work even though it is seven years out of date (Develop Before 10/2004)???

If it works when I get the film processed can I scan the colour print into the computer as B/W or does this count as post processing?

When does the challenge have to be completed by?

And most importantly how the heck do you load a film???:eek::p:D.

Hey Glen,...I don't think that film works in that camera. I think the camera you bought is 35mm. The film you bought is APS film. Not compatible. See that little APS symbol on the lower left of the film canister? You should see a similar symbol on the camera.

Would the film still work (if used in a compatible camera)? Probably,...although it may show some color shifts once developed, or perhaps pronounced grain. Or maybe it will be fine.

I agree with Brian Glen unfortunately that looks like the wrong film.

When you get the right film and you get them developed they can put them onto a cd for you for usually a couple of extra £££ (i am going down this route) or i suppose you can scan them in yourself as you mentioned.

Daz

Hey Glen,...I don't think that film works in that camera. I think the camera you bought is 35mm. The film you bought is APS film. Not compatible.

BUGGER!!!:mad:....:eek:
Told I'm a film Virgin:p

Oh Well... Anyone want a free roll of APS Film or better still a swap for a roll of 35mm:D:D.

Glen if you want b&w go for ilford XP2 ... It can be deved at boots or what not!
APS was a fairly horrible format ... Little negatives and very expensive to process, and you would have trouble scanning them! bullet dodged IMO! :)
Nice little camera though eh, if you win you will win the original Olympus trip to go with it

74c0be5d.jpg

So how is everyone getting on?
Does anyone else want me to extend the deadline ...
With all the work I've had done on the house I've not had time to do much else ... Including this ... ...
That said I am off from tues so I'll prob find time ... What do we think?

Well, I've got as far as the negs we done the other week, but I haven't got them on to the interweb yet. lol
Hmmmm, maybe I'll get a scanner for xmass... you never know. :D :D

how about an extra week Hamish that would be good, and quite helpful i would think to some members (including me lol)

May have found my Cheap-as-Chips-Challenge Camera. Today I picked up a Konica Autoreflex TC with 50mm Hexanon 1.7 lens for $11.50. When I got my hands on it it looked pretty grungy and it appeared that the front element of the lens had fungus. However, the lens and the camera cleaned up pretty nice, considering they have been languishing who-knows-where for who-knows-how-long with no lens cap or cover on the camera. Testing it now with some cheapo 200 ASA color film. The camera has a nice "feel" to it and the sounds of the mirror slap and shutter are delightful.

Good work!
I'm still not sure what camera I'm going to use ...
Thought I'd settled ... But I haven't
We all need to get cracking really!

Afternoon Hamish

OK, so I bought my charity-shop camera and my Kodachrome 200 and I've just got the negatives back from the local processor and I may be able to find three shots that are not completely useless, so what do I do now? In other words, is there a section of the site you'd like them uploading to or shall I just create an album for the job?

my film got sent off monday 9th should be back monday 16th i hope, bit gutted it didn't arrive today to be honest.

Daz

Anyone know of a quick developer of black and white film? I shot in black and white forgetting that most shops take two weeks to process the flipping thing. Failing that I might have to shoot a colour film quickly and get the old one hour processing job done.

If anyone does know of someone that would be great.

Back