Cheap As Chips competition - my entry

I've really enjoyed this challenge, it's been many years since I had to make every shot count (or try to, anyway). Like the rest of the members, I'm sure, it's become commonplace for me to take half a dozen digital shots of the scene in question in a lazy attempt to guard against errors so to have to think about each frame was very interesting.

I was lucky enough to buy a Minolta FX-3 with a 28mm lens for £4.99 at our local Cancer Research shop. The poor thing is quite tatty and in need of new leatherette panels, which I have already ordered from a company in America featured in this forum, so I will not post any photgraphs of it now but will save them for a refurbishment feature when the bits turn up.

The weather and lighting conditions have been fairly terrible up here in northern England since Christmas causing unacceptable vignetting on several wide open shots (the 28mm lens came as a bit of a surprise!) so the three shots below are the best of a varied bunch:

The temptation to straighten this picture of the Hoad Monument, here in Ulverston, was very strong but I resisted in the spirit of the rules.

This is a hand-held shot at 1/15 sec of a staircase in Cafe Nero in Kendal.

And finally, an exterior shot of Blackpool's main Post Office.

If anyone is interested to see the rest of the roll I'll upload it to an album here:

http://www.realphotographersforum.com/members/michael-ross-albums-cac-competition-entry-reel.html

though it might not be until tomorrow.

Last edited:
Great set o images there Michael. I especially like the first two and the colours in particular in image one. The sky is wonderful and the reds on the lighthouse add a nice contrast. Did I understand correctly that this is Kodachrome developed in C41?

Thanks for the kind comments. My mistake of course, it's Kodak Gold 200ASA. I've been scanning hundreds of Kodachrome slides from the 1970's recently and must have had it on my mind! Processed as C41 by the local Fujifilm franchise.

that lighthouse shot is brilliant well done mate

Daz

Excellent Michael - you'd never know you'd had bad weather based on that sky in #1 - fabulous! :)

Back