DIY monitor hood/shade

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
Today i got fed up with squinting at my screen and constantly moving it to escape some sore of reflection.

So i made this ...

600b7906.jpg

4b34c070.jpg

1e9be4b9.jpg

Much better! very easy and if you type monitor hood into Google you will see that I have saved my self around £50 ... Happy days

Nice one Hamish. To make it authentic though you need to make a little flappy up bit in the middle to feed your monitor calibrator through! And I bet it doesn't fall off in the middle of your work like the one that came with my SpectraView does. It's held on using magnet but unfortunately the adhesive that holds the magnetic strips on to the side of the monitor come loose when the monitor gets hot!! Grrr!!

Just missing a bit of sticky-backed plastic! :)

Hamish, that is a true work of art. It reminds me of my time in the 80s when I was typesetting. There were windows in front of where we sat and we used to do something similar with cardboard, although ours were not painted ;)

I was going to mention sticky-backed plastic, but Pete beat me to it! :)

Maybe you could incorporate a washing up liquid bottle and yogurt carton with some lolly sticks? ;)

Looks good - and the council should be impressed with you repainting the road for them...

Looks good :)

Just needs black PVC insulating tape around the cut edges to hide the corrugations and finish it off.

As long as it is Matt black sticky backed plastic, don't want anything shiny near Hamish's screen :)

Nice one Hamish and looks accurately cut although I'm worried that ir looked like you cut it with the knife on your carpet! You can take stick back plastic to the next level with Fablon. Id go for mat black on the inside and maybe a snazzy fake woodgrain effect on the outside.

Cheers John ...
And thanks the rest of you **** takers ;)

Actually I was very careful with the Stanley knife only cutting on the hard plastic bit that my office chair stands on

Some Bice ideas for improving it ... I might make a mkii at some point with some of that foam board stuff you can get from craft type shops

It is indeed Tom ... That's my face photo from the day as it goes ... Although that picture doesn't really do it justice!

Monitor Hood

Hi Hamish,
I am keen to make hood for my monitor. Any suggestions as to the width of the cardboard, any dimensions please. Any news on a Mk2 version or are you still happy with Mk1?
best wishes for 2012
Gerry

Cheers John ...
And thanks the rest of you **** takers ;)

Actually I was very careful with the Stanley knife only cutting on the hard plastic bit that my office chair stands on

Some Bice ideas for improving it ... I might make a mkii at some point with some of that foam board stuff you can get from craft type shops

It is indeed Tom ... That's my face photo from the day as it goes ... Although that picture doesn't really do it justice!

Not really Gerry, I guess it all depends on the size of your monitor
I suppose if you measure the top width of the screen and height of sides... I made it quite deep but its quite well fitted to the screen so i can move it back and forth ...

MKi for now, I have thought about making another, but this one hasnt fallen apart yet so its staying for now ;)

Hi Hamish,
Thanks for the rapid reply and info.
By the way how do you attach to monitor please?
Do you just place on top, tight fit?
Gerry

Yeah, its just sat on top ...
well more jammed, I made it slightly smaller so it would fit tight as opposed to trying to think of some way to fix it on ...

Back