Critique Welcomed Faded B&W people in the pub

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
Faded B&W people in the pub

I quite liked some pp that Adam had done on a couple of his model shots ...
Beth gave me some clues on how to achieve the effect in lightroom by using the extremities of white balance...

Its not quite as strong as it could be and I can see how it would work better on a cleaner starting point ... but i like the roughness of these I think

Over pp'ed b&w shots taken with rx100 by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

- - - Updated - - -

... looks a bit like pushed film I think ...

Wow man, you know you seem to spend too much time in that pub and with your camera too! It is a nice PP and by chance got something very similar by using a gradient map layer and selecting a milky black / grey for the shadows and a slight grey tinged white for highlights. It's quite nice if you add a little yellow / brown in the mix too.

great series, but i love the second to last. the grain works well with your photos. seems like a cool place to hang out.

you can adjust the darkness and scope of the shadows by moving the black point up on the curves dialogue. just level the curves line straight to the right until you get what you want, then curve it upwards.

I think it gives them a news-print quality Hamish - very effective

It's pretty much the only pub I go to ... Good, but a bit smelly!
Cheers Beth, I'll have a look at that later!
I actually got fed up in the end and stopped experimenting ... The laptop is on its last legs and was demonstrating its usual ram leak symptoms - seems you can't run google chrome and LR at the same time without instantly using all your ram???
Anyway, for that reason, I got it a faff and shut down the pc without even exporting the pictures ... After about an hour I had recovered from my hissy fit, but was in no mood to return to processing in LR so took them out as they were ...
I'll have another look at curves when I get to work this morning!
I really hope my mac comes!!

great series, but i love the second to last. the grain works well with your photos. seems like a cool place to hang out.

you can adjust the darkness and scope of the shadows by moving the black point up on the curves dialogue. just level the curves line straight to the right until you get what you want, then curve it upwards.

this was my curves

hamish-gill-albums-demos-picture3209-curves.jpg

... seemed to work ...
of course thats in combo with a bunch of other stuff ... I hadnt even noticed id done such a thing to it

Excellent Hamish and I like the PP. Love the eyes in the shots of Hannah. What ISO were you shooting at? Very high I would guess but impressive none the less. There's a bit of banding but no worse than you get with a D3 when pushed towards its limits and there's a lot more detail than in the Galleraki Bar shots (http://www.realphotographersforum.com/people-portraits/1489-galleraki-nights.html) from way back but I can imagine it was a lot lighter. Maybe adding some coarser film grain would hide it.

that grain/banding has come through from using silly wb values ... ill put together a high iso demo bit for my diary thing ...

this is the curve that i use for faded color and b&w. move the black point up or down to determine how dark you want your blacks and how far right determines how much shadow detail is lost. you can see the difference in the lower left corner of the photo. i also increased the exposure on this image and contrast. all of the other dialogues i turned off so you could see the difference, but there wasn't much else done tbh. for b&w i would increase the temperature to a hideous yellow and turn the saturation all the way down rather than hit the grayscale button.

screenshot.jpg

Back