First film shots in 20 years

John Allen

This image was shot with a Mamiya RB67 w/90mm f/3.8 lens Film: Ektar 100. For some reason, I didn't record the settings. My notes say "settings from meter", which I believe means the Weston Master II meter I picked up recently. It is apparently very accurate. I didn't do a lot of exposure corrections in PP, but I obviously did some, including converting to B&W. This isn't a particularly good image, especially the flat lighting, but I wanted to share it because it is not only one of the first film shots I've done in 20 years, it is also the first time I've ever shot a medium format camera.

first-rb67-img
by John Allen, on Flickr

This next one is from the Olympus OM-1n in the photo above. It hasn't had any PP except for a minor crop to hide the corner of my filthy keyboard. This is a straight scan from an Epson V600. I didn't change the color balance or make any exposure adjustments. The exposure was set based on the internal meter. f/4, 1/60, ASA 400 Fujifilm Superia X-tra. I'm very happy about this one. It gives me a lot of confidence in the OM-1 and my choice in scanners.

1st OM-1n shot
by John Allen, on Flickr

Thanks, Ivar. I hope to take quite a few shots with it over the next few days.

Yes, congratulations. Great feeling, I imagine, for you. Nice to see the first shots, with the promise for better to come. But I do like the soft focus of the first.

Congrats, film is fun ^_^
Thank's, Aaron. You are right about the fun. I think that's what I've been missing with digital photography. It's just not as much fun as film. As crazy as it sounds, digital seems too much like work.

Back