Skimlinks

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
I'm not sure how many of you are aware of a thing called Skimlinks
It does a couple of things the first we have had running for a little while now...
If you click on a link to a product on one of some 18000 shop sites and buy that product RPF gets a little cut!
This has been broadly unsuccessful for us... I think in the last year we have earned about £50 ... As you can imagine that doesnt really pay for the time that is taken out of my normal working day keeping this place running!

The second is something that we are going to give a go, Skimwords
Its basically a thing that turns some of the text on websites into links ... usually when products or shops are mentioned
Its that thing that almost unanimously gets on people nerves ...
Unfortunately with google adds earning me in the region of £6 a month we are going to try something else

This is not a permanent fixture I dont think ... I want to experiment with it for a little while to see how well it can work ...
But also more importantly I want to see just how annoying it is for all of you ...

I dont want to annoy anyone!

I have set it up so it can be switched off for logged in users ill report back when i find out where the off switch is!

It also goes fairly heavily against my ideas of using this place to support smaller businesses as it tends to be bigger companies that are part of the affiliate networks!

Rest assured that this all makes me feel a little uncomfortable, but it is just something I think I need to see how well it can work before I rule it out completely

your thoughts would be good!

This it is in action by the way

when I type ebay it automatically makes it a link ... same for amazon, jessops, and 18,077 other shops ... I wont list them all ;)
you can read about it here if you are interested
http://skimlinks.com/

Last edited:
Ebay? E-Bay? e-Bay? e-bay? E-bay? eBay? ebay? I'm not seeing any links automatically appear. Amazon? amazon? Nae links. But I see in a couple of Pete's responses that eBay is linked. Anyway, I agree with Pete. The place has to pay its way somehow, so I don't think this link thing is going to bother me in the least.

I'm using Firefox, and none of the links appear.
However, if I change to the IE engine in firefox, and accept the cookies, then they work as expected.

Not that I'm unduly bothered either way.
These kinds of links are fairly common on news sites, and you don't have to click on them...

What happens if I type Playboy?

Doh!

Ewwwwww, not what I was hoping for Pete! :(

Back