Swimming

Julian de'Courcy

I got back into photography with digital cameras in about 2005 and like a lot of parents it was to record the family. My daughter liked swimming a lot and it is incredibly hard to get good pool competition pics. One reason is the very low light levels in pools and also the sun often is reflecting strongly through windows onto splashing water giving all kinds of exposure difficulties. So ideally you need more than the point and shoot or bridge camera. This scenario soon made me realise why certain photographers do need expensive and good professional camera equipment. I still had to compromise, as the professional photographers at these events are often carrying lenses such as the Canon L 400 f2.8 and the 200 f2. So I would make do with the 200 f2.8, still very expensive in my book but occasionally I got a shot or two which were ok. Only occasionally when pool side, could I capture low down shots, these where mostly in training sessions when it was possible. Other wise it was from the arena seating.
A bit nostalgic today as my daughter is making her way to Uni, where she will study a degree and swim.
These are from a Regional championship competition where she was on the podium with a silver behind Stacy Tadd in the two hundred meters breaststroke. I like the look in these pictures as she realised a good time.
She is a good swimmer, with one of the highlights so far having qualified for the second 2012 Olympic trials held at Ponds Forge Sheffield, but not at the top by a long way but enjoys it a lot. It hopefully helps to be amongst friends and a group of students with a common interest when arriving at University.

Swimming Open meet Dec 2012
by JuliandeCourcy, on Flickr

Swimming open meet Dec 2012

Swimming Open Dec 2012 200BR

Swimming Open meet 200BR Silver

Really good, Julian, especially, for me, the last two. I can appreciate how difficult it can be to get good exposure here. I think you've done well.

Nice set of pics Julian. The pride you have in your daughter comes through loud and clear.
Thanks glen, yes I guess I am proud and a bit full of emotion at times.
I also take my hat of to so many youngsters today who often get bad press but they work so hard striving in their chosen areas to do well, this is in what can seem like a messed up world we are leaving them. Always been the same I've no doubt.
Again thanks.

Very nice set, Julian. Like Pete said the first one is great action shot. The 2nd and 3rd ones are really suggestive of post-race fatigue. And the last one shows how pretty she is. Excellent stuff Julian.

Very nice set, Julian. Like Pete said the first one is great action shot. The 2nd and 3rd ones are really suggestive of post-race fatigue. And the last one shows how pretty she is. Excellent stuff Julian.
Thanks Brian, quite easy shots in a way as most are static but I did like the sequence of expressions and realisation. The problem with this type of photography is the emotional attachment to the subject. Sport is a crazy thing, it is amazing how focused and caught up in the minutia of shaving often 100/th of a second, of a distance, which can mean so much and often takes an immense amount of training to do, focus and dedication day by day is second to none. I myself, ten or more years ago did not have a clue what it was all about. I still don't :)

Back