Three Faces Of Cornwall

Shane Johns

I was on holiday/vacation in Cornwall, UK, this summer. It's a beautiful place, and I recommend any visitor to the UK (time permitting) to spend at least a week there.

By driving there it allowed me to take my camera gear and tripod. Although I love landscape photography, I have relatively very little experience and was soon to discover just how time consuming and demanding it can be.

I thought I could just turn up, set up my tripod, and shoot away. Wrong!! Planning is the most important thing, as is TIME. I was with my GF, who is incredibly patient and supportive, but I must admit on a few occasions even this wore thin :oops:.

We visited Lands End a few times and my goal was to get a good sunset pic. The difficulty was that I only had a small window of time to do this, plus my lack of experience with landscapes didn't help.

The first pic below is of Lands End as the sun was setting. I converted this to black and white and then set about painting with light and shadows. You can see the 'First and Last Inn' on the right.
landsend_black_white.jpg

The next day I came back to try and get some more sunset pics, but this time it was much different. The sun had set but a huge storm was brewing out at sea in the distance. There were a few of us watching but only me with my tripod perched near the edge! The whole sky seemed to fill with a monstrous black cloud, and we could see three waterspouts, which were heading from west to east. It started raining. By this time the people around me had taken cover (including my GF) but I was determined to get some shots. I managed a few before I realised that the storm had changed direction again and was heading towards us! I shouted at my GF to get in the car, grabbed my gear, and made sure we got out of there pretty quickly. You cannot really appreciate the conditions by this photo, but let's just say it was 'exciting' :)
landsend_storm.jpg
The last 'face' is a dreamy one. We spent our last evening at a place called Marazion Beach. The most famous structure here was St Michael's Mount (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Michael's_Mount) and I was hoping the sun would set behind it...no such luck. It set to the right and there was nothing there but the side of the pub! Anyway, I screwed on two ND filters and took this really long exposure - I think it was about 1.5 - 2 minutes. What you can see is actually the beach.
marazionbeach.jpg
I've sort of decided that proper landscape photography with tripods is not the thing for me. If I can get some pics without spending too much time then fine, and I have a lot of respect for the dedication and patience of landscape photographers now.

If I were you, Shane, I wouldn't be so quick to abandon landscape photography, as these are really excellent shots. Beautifully captured, and sensitively edited. Love the path on the right in the first, taking us to the Inn. Superb!

Dramatic stuff Shane - you can just feel the storm's power in #2

Lovely part of the world - I went once for a week and it rained every day! :D

Thank you all so much for your kind words!

@ Rob - I haven't given up landscape photography, I just cannot justify spending so much time on the preparation and setting up etc if I'm with my other half, as it's not fair to her. If I can get landscape pics in the golden hour, handheld, then that would be great...I'm confident I can edit a pic to get the result I want, so it's only really long exposures that need a tripod (or even a hand bag ;))

the images kept getting better and better as i scrolled down. love the last one, the tones and light are perfect, great comp. with the railing leading to the buildings and the bright sky behind and the movement in the clouds. excellent work.

Shane,

Loving your captures, really excellent, respect Sir..! Superb compositions/light/tones/contrast/style, top drawer. Which lens did you use by the way?
They are all excellent, but both mono's work for me, the first image, I love the subtle light on the First & Last Inn --- wOw

Hi Peter - thanks very much! I used the Nikkor AF-S 18-35mm f3.5 - 4.5 lens. It's a nice wide-angle on a full frame DSLR, but to tell the truth, I sort of regret buying it and it hasn't seen much use since Cornwall. I will probably keep it as it's perfect for interior shots, and is sharp when stopped down.

Shane,

Loving your captures, really excellent, respect Sir..! Superb compositions/light/tones/contrast/style, top drawer. Which lens did you use by the way?
They are all excellent, but both mono's work for me, the first image, I love the subtle light on the First & Last Inn --- wOw

Thanks Beth & Paul - I was very happy with the Marazion Beach pic as it's not really of anything pretty or a normal landscape scene.

the images kept getting better and better as i scrolled down. love the last one, the tones and light are perfect, great comp. with the railing leading to the buildings and the bright sky behind and the movement in the clouds. excellent work.
Yeah, these are pretty neat and there is a consistent style running through all three.

Last edited:
Three cracking shots, Shane. I think #1 is my favorite (but not by much!) because of the way the light pulls your eye in zigzag fashion toward the building on the right whose illumination seems to counterbalance the setting sun on the left. And what's more, there is lots to look at in between. Lovely!

Back