Hannah and Connie - First tease of a shot from the Mamiya C3

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
As you may know, Pete has very kindly lent me his Mamiya C3.
I put a roll of fuji 400h through it and sent it Joan
With a bit of nagging and making a nuisance of my self she sent me a scan of one of the images

Its quite hard working with a camera in a format that i have little or no experience of but im quite happy with this result, even if Hannah is centre frame!
looking into the VF i was telling her to move one way, but being as it was reversed she was moving the other way ... oops ... ill get used to it im sure ...
The thing I'm most pleased about is that this was taken using the sunny 16 rule, all well and good for street shooting etc, but for this sort of thing, with a white shirt there was some danger! ... Im pretty please how well its come out!

anyway, here is the shot!
Unlike usual, this has zero pp

Hamish07b.jpg

I think it was the 135, and I think f5.6... I should have taken notes really! I'll remember next time!
It does make a difference working that slowly! Much more enjoyable... For ms at least, Hannah was less impressed!
Can't wait to see the rest on Monday! I'm liKe a kid at Xmas!

Let's see Chris work out how to get a 16:9 from this!! :)

Oooooo, I love a good challenge me! :) :)

Here you go...

web.jpg

Very nice Hamish - good use of the available light, and props for using the sunny 16 in practice.

See how 16:9 eliminates your 'center of frame' issue ;)

Last edited:
I really like the crop. But regardless, a beautiful photo. Very well done with the light. It makes me want to shoot medium or large format again. Thanks for sharing.

Hah nice work Chris
With the time required to get the shot, despite my normal views on cropping being perfectly ok thing to do, I think I should be getting compo right from the camera!
Hopefully there will be a variation on the shot with Hannah more off centre... There should be!
I've had a look at the lens to jog my memory!
This was shot at 500th at f11 (the film is 400iso so I know that is what I would have set it to in the sunshine!
The other shots I took, which you will hopefully see on Monday, Hannah is sat in the shade so they would have been 500th at 5.6
I'm please they came out, but really, there is no reason they shouldn't ... Is shouldn't deserve credit for understanding a very simple rule for day time shooting!
Do you know what I mean? I appreciate the praise ... But this stuff was day to day amature knowledge in the 50's 60's etc ... I'm supposed to be a professional! I really bloody should know it!
http://www.realphotographersforum.c...6-Rule-correct-exposure-without-a-light-meter

Just to ad to that, I use it all the time with my compact cameras ... But I dot tend to use them for stuff like this ... Shooting in the street it doesn't seem ao important I exposure is slightly off.
For this sort of thing it is slightly more scary, but there is no reason it shouldn't still apply!

The most anoying thing with using the C3 (or any other TLR) is forgetting to switch the position of the paramender (or correct the framing in other cameras). You usually notice just after pressing the shutter release! Not quite so important with the 135 but with tight framing it still makes a difference.

Back