Hi from Kathleen

hello,
This site is new to me so i dont really know much about it yet im sure ill find my way around... Im from mayo ireland, i bought my first ever camera last year olympus small digital camera since i bought it i havent left it down so then i came across macro mode on the camera at first didnt know what it meant after reading up on it i was keen to try it out and now i love close up photography alot of focus is involved in it of course. I then decided i wanted to learn more about photography so i signed up to do a course in september but it was too stressful and complicated that i left, i was using a fujifilm at the time that didnt need to chance lenses but it did take good pictures, there is alot of things about the camera i still dont understand, would like for people to view my pictures on here and tell me their honest opinion on them as that would mean alot to me, i also want to learn more about them so tips would be great, like aperture, shutter speed etc, i did learn all this in collage but it still makes no sense to me.

Hello Kathleen, welcome to rpf this place is great. people here have a wealth of knowledge and experience and are more than happy to help you no matter how silly you feel your question might be....... Right first off you have posted this in my thread so not many people will get to see it and say hello, if you copy what you have written on my thread go into the "meet and greet" forum and "start a new thread" and paste what you have copied.. Then you should get a few more responces !!! Looking forward to seeing your work !!

Hi Kathleen
I have made you first post and toms reply it's own thread (as Tom suggested)
Welcome to the forum!
Well, first things first... You have come to the right place if you want constructive honesty and images ... We all seem to have found a mutual respect for each others work and often help each other out with tips and tricks and the like ...
Secondly, i have a plan to start to build a article on the relationship between shutter speed, aperture and iso... And what these three things mean ... Keep an eye out for it! A few people have asked me for such a thing now ... So I will get on it as soon as I can find some time!
In the meanwhile ... Feel free to ask any questions of us ... I'm not promising I will know the answer ... But I'm sure someone will!
Hope you enjoy the forum!

Welcome Kathleen, lots of friendly people on here that will be able to help on any photographic topic you have.
Also looking forward to seeing some of your shots.

welcome Kathleen to this awesome, helpful & friendly forum, you will get as much help & advice as you want & can handle all you have to do is ask........!!

I look forward to seeing some of your images hopefully very soon.!!

Daz

Hi Kathleen - welcome!

You'll find this a very friendly place - we just love looking at people's photos, sharing tips, and talking about photography. :) :)

thanks all for that just got to figure out how to upload the pics on here i tryed last night but they didnt load, look forward to seeing all your photos too and learning more about photography. :)

A big welcome from me also. It is certainly a friendly place and I really enjoy looking at the images and getting feedback. I'm sure you will too There are several people around who also like macro photography and will be more than happy to advise. It's not my passion, but I do use many macro techniques in my work and if I can help at some point, I'll be more than happy to.

Had a drink with Barry tonight kathleen ... I knew it was to much of a coincidence that we would have a member from county Mayo without Barry being involved :)

Welcome Kathleen, you sure have joined a great forum. Looking forward to view some of your pics soon.
Regards dan

attachment.php
I took this photo on my olympus digital camera would love your feedback on it i will be posting more photos too not sure if this is the right thread to do that.

Go Kathleen
You would be better off starting your own thread for things like this ... More people will spot it

I don't know a lot about this sort of photography, but it looks like your off to a good start...
Perhaps try cropping out the parts around the edge of the flower so the image is concentrated on just the bee and the centre of the flower?
Do you have any photo editing software?

Hamish, Hamish, Hamish! After all those early posts and you still can't tell the difference between a bee and a hover fly!! ;)

Nice start Kathleen. Maybe worth playing a bit with manual exposure though for macro shots as your metering has probably been dominated by the light coming through / off the flower and so the Hoverfly is touch under exposed.

thanks for that guys think i found where you share pics will put up more, love feedback on my photos i learn more from them, i have photoshop but dont know how to work it properly yet still learning it.
here is an example of the camera i used for that shot. i like taken macro shots on this camera.
digitalcamera_FE-340_pink_front_M.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Kathleen, just a pointer... You can't link to google images ... You have to click the link and go to it then link to that

Is that you camera I have edited into you post?

Hi Kathleen,

The lenses on the low and mid range compact cameras tend to be so so. Also they tend to be quite small and not very fast from an optical perspective. As well as the metering that Pete advised on you have to try to keep the camera as steady as possible and try to use fast shutter speeds and low ISO settings. Unfortunately low ISO settings means that the camera is less sensitive to light. In good sunlight macro shots of plants and insects can come out really well, even with basic cameras. With the crap weather we have at the moment I sometimes use a cheap lamp I bought from Argos for £3 with a Daylight bulb that I bought from Ebay. You can get away with normal bulbs if you set your cameras white balance to incandescent.

yes hamish that is the camera i have at the moment. i dont know if there is shutter speed and that on that camera i use iauto setting on it there is also different settings which i use alot like, fisheye, pinhole, and drawing. i normally have to use pinhole in bright weather as the picture looks washed out otherwise. i did take macro shots while i was doing my photography course off a canon camera which was on a tripod and ya it has to be perfect in focus etc and using a big camera i found harder to take macro, but as they say practice makes perfect. thanks again for your feedback.

hi guys know im in the wrong thread to ask this i already posted a thread there in general thinking it did post but i cannot find it so i prob didnt save it.
anyway i really need your ideas on what i wanna do i have no idea as off yet what i wanna do and would be great to get your ideas or opinions. Basically i wanna get a picture printed on a hoodie/ jumper. i love horses and helicopters and i cannot choose what kinda photo would look nice on it or will i have helicopter and a horse. i used to own a jumper years ago off a famous showjumper and his horse jumping a fence but now obvisiously that dont fit me no more, id be grate ful for your ideas i cannot make up my mind what kinda shot would look good on a jumper that i will be wearing. :D

Back