Critique Welcomed I Now Process My Own Color Film

Brian Moore

I'm fed up running hither and thither trying to find someplace to process my color film. So with 10 rolls of 35mm color film from my trip to Prague needing processed, I finally bought a color developing kit and a few extra pieces of equipment to make it happen. Here is a self-developed color image from my Olympus XA. The film is Kodak Gold 200 ASA.

I snapped this shot from the famous Charles Bridge.

Thanks, Pete. I bought the unicolor kit from Freestyle. Its powders that you dilute. I also bought a larger developing tank. I can do 5 35mm rolls or 3 120 at one go now.

It looks to have given excellent results. How sensitive to temperature is it?
Thanks, Pete. Initial soak and then developer they want at 102 degrees f. Blix can be anywhere from 95 to 105 f. Wash is at 95 to 105 also. What I actually did was plop the developer into the tank when it was at about 104, thus giving some allowance for cooling as it transferred from it's warm bath into the developing tank. Seems to have worked OK.

Last edited:
A fantastic result here Brian, love it. Is the process much different than the mono?
Have you now said goodbye to digital or did you ever embrace it?
It's a little different because of the temperature and also because the times in the chemicals are the same for all speeds of film.

As to digital, Pete, in the post that immediately follows yours, is right. Although I do shoot digital from time-to-time (I have a Canon 7D) it doesn't interest me like film does. I believe that if all the film manufacturers suddenly closed up shop I would then shoot digital more often. But I would be finding ways to make images with home made emulsions and old cameras,...like those 19th century dudes. Having said that,...those Merrills, and in fact the Sigma Foveon sensor cameras in general, do have a lot of appeal to me.

Back