Critique Welcomed Tales from Topographic Oceans

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Around this time of year, the California climate generates a marine layer of cloud at the coast, known to locals as May Gray and June Gloom.

We can be socked-in for days or weeks - with no sign of the sun.

Perfect weather for long exposure seascapes! :)

These were taken today at La Jolla Cove, CA.

fdeceb0b-5191-4edc-91de-efd5ae1a1001-l

7a5159a3-7f6d-4877-ac3d-c89c34289526-l

La Jolla Caves in B&W and Color - X-Pro1 at 35mm Lens - ND400 Filter

d733d91a-3fb8-48e6-837b-8748d5fd3c3e-l

La Jolla Caves - X-Pro1 at 18mm Lens - ND400 Filter

932a8ed8-0fe6-47ae-8ee5-bcf8e5fecaeb-l

a271e686-d76d-40c1-b04f-ce87ad7a6f2b-l

e678680f-9d6e-48e8-ba0f-7217f74ec404-l

aeafb587-e94b-4eca-9eb9-9bb8dd103aa2-l

0dcb7822-4d28-45bb-a7c3-170b72fa04c3-l

fc6d7ab1-2a6a-467c-a68d-352913a9a525-l

3abba923-b928-4f31-b15c-1c11faa4a2da-l

La Jolla coastline - X-Pro1 at 18mm Lens - ND400 Filter

The technique is to use a very dark ND filter, in this case an 8.5 stop ND400 from Hoya, to drastically reduce the light reaching the camera sensor, meaning that even in full daylight you need long exposure times to get an image.

Hoya_HMC_ND400_Neutral_Gris_Neutre.jpg

On this cloudy day, at ISO200 and f/16 - I was using exposure times of around 25-30 seconds.

Exposure calculation can be difficult, as some cameras can have difficulty working out the correct exposure with the ND filter fitted.

The X-Pro1 was actually spot-on with it's metering, but for a check, you can use a free smartphone app such as LongTime Exposure Calculator

App Store - LongTime Exposure Calculator

mzl.illfmcyr.320x480-75.jpg

This is a great little app - you select the filter strength you'll use - you set the exposure reading from the camera without the filter fitted - and the App tells you what the correct exposure time will be with the filter fitted and your selected F-stop.

AF can also be a challenge, so you can set the focus and then switch to manual before fitting the filter.

The X-Pro1 however had no issue achieving AF lock with the ND filter fitted, so this made things very easy.

To take the shot - use a very sturdy tripod and cable release - set your F-Stop and exposure time - frame your shot, and off you go.

I disabled long exposure noise reduction, as it slows the shooting cycle, and I find any pixel/dust issues can easily be fixed in PP. (Long exposure NR takes a black frame after each shot, of the same exposure length as the original frame, and uses that to figure out any noisy pixels).

PP was Photoshop and Topaz Adjust for the color shots - Photoshop and Nik Silver FX Pro for the B&W.

Very cool stuff, Chris. The color ones are quite stunning. (And the BW ones ain't too bad either!) I especially like 6 and 7 for the boulders revealed through the water. Very nice stuff indeed!

Lovely smokey water effects...

Thanks guys - it's great to have something to shoot when the weather is so dreary.

The tide was well up yesterday, and the waves were pretty dynamic, so the rocks were covered a lot of the time - I'm thinking I'll get a different look with a different tidal position and/or a calmer ocean.

Also need to fins a waterfall or something to try - but I'm struggling to think of one locally!

Thanks guys - it's great to have something to shoot when the weather is so dreary.

The tide was well up yesterday, and the waves were pretty dynamic, so the rocks were covered a lot of the time - I'm thinking I'll get a different look with a different tidal position and/or a calmer ocean.

Also need to fins a waterfall or something to try - but I'm struggling to think of one locally!

Pop over to see me Chris, I'll take you to some crackers :D

Nice Chris. I wonder why that with long exposures the rocks seem to have a different texture. Is it because there is very tiny movement of the camera or something to do with light reaching the sensor that otherwise would not have.

Chris thank you for sharing these photos, they look wonderful specially the B/W conversions.
You made me miss La Jolla Cove as it has been a couple of years since I was out there with a camera, here's a shot from the last time I was there;

16138_168611152185_693287185_3424984_153735_n.jpg

I prefer the black and white... and i would go as far as saying that landscape photography barely gets better than that for me! love them!

Brilliant shots, Chris, all of them. And also thanks for the tip on that app for the filter. I usually just guess and bracket the hell out of them, just in case :)

I am a bit annoyed, however, that you were back in my neighborhood today playing around with that fancy new camera of yours and you didn't call me. :p

Brilliant shots, Chris, all of them. And also thanks for the tip on that app for the filter. I usually just guess and bracket the hell out of them, just in case :)

I am a bit annoyed, however, that you were back in my neighborhood today playing around with that fancy new camera of yours and you didn't call me. :p

No, these were from Monday Darren - I didn't call you on Monday! :D

Back