Critique Welcomed Shielding the leaf

Wes Hall

Capturing this little guy in possibly the cleanest macro shot I've had from a single shot.

Something about sunny moments in summer always make me want to see the smallest details in the world.

Using my beloved Sigma SD15 and the 50mm macro lens. I maintain my view, there is something magical that comes from these sensors.

1000010409.jpg

That is a super macro, and with context that is often missing. Yes, those sensors are special and I still think it a shame that it was not developed further. I too have a couple of the fixed-lens Sigmas and the shots that I have taken with them always look 'special'.

Beautiful image, Wes. (I didn't know you were a Sigma shooter. I have two Sigmas: A DP1 Merrill that I bought from that robber-baron @Rob MacKillop as well as a Quattro SD.)
Good on Mr MacKillop performing a stick up and making you buy it- a Merrill is on my list of cameras I will own one day.

Thanks, I became smitten with the two DP1 cameras I previously had and this SD came up at a very good price. Haven't looked back.

That is a super macro, and with context that is often missing. Yes, those sensors are special and I still think it a shame that it was not developed further. I too have a couple of the fixed-lens Sigmas and the shots that I have taken with them always look 'special'.
Thanks Pete, I'm a believer in context to frame a shared image with a community - breathes more life into it.

If love to see some of your Sigma shots, if they're on the site and can be linked, great- and if not, please upload 😁 I take inspiration seeing how others edit their Foveon images, makes me reappraise my own.

Well you did ask! I think the shot of the harbour (Harbour View) illustrates the tonal quality of these sensors the best (even though it has been pushed through Old Nik).

Well you did ask! I think the shot of the harbour (Harbour View) illustrates the tonal quality of these sensors the best (even though it has been pushed through Old Nik).

Thanks for the incredible hit of nostalgia Pete through the HK images. I love the colours, textures and scale of the tram image in particular (which reminds me of Mong Kok) those colours are very Foveon to my eye. I had an interesting holiday there In 2003 with a very close friend back when we were young.

Pete I had forgotten that you had a couple of Sigmas and I very much enjoyed going through these images (again).

A wonderful image, I really like it. And also the images Pete published here. I have seen so much of the Sigma and its wonderful sensor and am puzzled that Rob sold it off to Brian. I would have given him a much better price.

Thank you Gary, I appreciate that insight to what makes this subject type sing- I'm looking forward to the spring for capturing some different species with the same set up.

Back